PDA

View Full Version : Honey is really not well - U/D home and doing o.k

Jessica Rabbit
23-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Please could I have some vibes for Honey.
We took her to the vets last Saturday as she was not quite right and she was tilting her head to the left a bit. The vet checked her over and thought she was in pain due to her elongated tooth roots. She had her eye flushed 3 times, but as the duct is blocked nothing went through. So all week she has had drops for her eye and Metacam. She was fine all week and the head tilt disappeared on the saturday as quickly as it arrived. I think she may have overdone the exercise in the garden.
Tonight though, she was fine. Eating and going to the toilet, but about 7.30pm jsut sat hunched up in the shed while Eric and Ernie played outside. (she always play with them)
So we took her to the vets and she had a good check over of teeth and ears and tummy. Tummy was a bit tight but all other areas were fine. She had her temperature taken and it was a bit high. She had a baytril injection and a dose of Zantax (sp) (which I have to give her twice a day). But she still hasn't eaten and is not moving out of the NIC cube set up in the shed.
My poor girl. I hope she eats tonight.

glossta1
23-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Sending you vibes. It is so hard when the cause is unclear.

donnamt
23-04-2010, 10:22 PM
sending loads of vibes, hope she starts eating soon xxxx

kaths101
23-04-2010, 10:24 PM
aww poor honey - lots of vibes coming your way - its very worrying when they are like that as you know instantly they are not well :(

Ive had this with Charlie recently - I really hope she gets well soon and you can find the cause

Bunnyaddict
Lots & lots of vibes for Honey, hope she's ok soon xxx

Jessica Rabbit
Thank You. Feeling so helpless now and just want her back to her cheeky playful self.

Jack's-Jane
23-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Poor girl :cry:

Can you bring her in tonight if she is still not eating ?

angeleyes
23-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Sending loads of vibes hun xx

Jessica Rabbit
23-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Poor girl :cry:

Can you bring her in tonight if she is still not eating ?
I would Jane, but she is with Eric and Ernie and is very close to them, and I just don't have the room for all 3 ( have now closed my shop and the house is full of dancewear and prom dresses. We can barely sit down ourselves).:(:(
She is in the shed and there is lots of hay and water for them all. so hopefully she will attempt to eat later. The vet did say it could take a couple of hours.

The boys were grooming her constantly when she came back from the vets, but she just wants to sit alone and she hates, me after all the medication this week:cry::cry: I will have to rebuild her trust again.

prettylupin
23-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Did the vet give her some pain relief? If not, I would get some tonight, and maybe some fluids too. If she doesn't eat herself tonight I would also be syringe feeding food and fluids. Hope she feels better soon.

Jessica Rabbit
23-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Did the vet give her some pain relief? If not, I would get some tonight, and maybe some fluids too. If she doesn't eat herself tonight I would also be syringe feeding food and fluids. Hope she feels better soon.

She has been having Metacam all week and her last lot was this morning. I don't want to give her any more tonight because she may have to go back to the vets in the morning and I don't want to overload her with meds?
She had a Bytril injection and some Zantax(sp) at the vets but that was all.
I really think she is in pain, but don't know where it is. She had a big drink of water when she got back from the vets. Just going out to check on her again now as it has been 3 hours since we saw the vet.

prettylupin
23-04-2010, 11:07 PM
She has been having Metacam all week and her last lot was this morning. I don't want to give her any more tonight because she may have to go back to the vets in the morning and I don't want to overload her with meds?
She had a Bytril injection and some Zantax(sp) at the vets but that was all.
I really think she is in pain, but don't know where it is. She had a big drink of water when she got back from the vets. Just going out to check on her again now as it has been 3 hours since we saw the vet.

Oh ok, sorry, I don't know her full story and was just going on your first post :oops:

If she really is in pain, she could go to an emergency vet and have some opiate pain relief instead - Vetergesic. This can be given at the same time as metacam as it is a different class of drug, metabolised differently. So no, don't over do her metacam, I didn't realise she had had any, but if you are at all concerned tonight about her pain - pop her to the emergency vet and get some opiate pain relief to top her up instead. And whilst you're there get some sub-cuts just to make sure she is properly hydrated. In my book fluids are so important. Hope Honey feels better soon. x

Jessica Rabbit
23-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Oh ok, sorry, I don't know her full story and was just going on your first post :oops:

If she really is in pain, she could go to an emergency vet and have some opiate pain relief instead - Vetergesic. This can be given at the same time as metacam as it is a different class of drug, metabolised differently. So no, don't over do her metacam, I didn't realise she had had any, but if you are at all concerned tonight about her pain - pop her to the emergency vet and get some opiate pain relief to top her up instead. And whilst you're there get some sub-cuts just to make sure she is properly hydrated. In my book fluids are so important. Hope Honey feels better soon. x

Thank you and sorry, I didn't make myself clear (not thinking straight) She had a course of Metacam this week, because I was concerned about her on saturday. She had her eye flushed 3 times and the vet thought that was the problem. She had some steroid drops for the eye too as the vet thought that was what was causing the pain. She has been fine all week until tonight :cry::cry:
The vet also thought her tummy was tight, but that could have been a side-effect of the metacam. She had a big drink when she got home from the vets and I have just taken some Kale and warm water out for her. She declined.:cry:

prettylupin
24-04-2010, 12:14 AM
A tight tummy sounds like bloat to me. I would give Honey a tummy massage and pop her to the emergency vet if she does not pick up soon. Good luck

*Spider*
24-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Sending loads of vibes x x x

Gemmapookie
24-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Hmmm could it be that the pain she is in and the stress has caused abit of stasis? I'd ask for her to be given an injection of gut stimulant like metacloperamide aswell, and a course to take home.
Hope shes OK, sending vibes xxx

The Duchess
24-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Jayne.

I messaged you before I saw this thread so you've answered some of my questions already.

What was the vet's plan of attack following the initial treatment?

Hope she improves today.

Helen x

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Honey has been admitted at 6.00am this morning. Ernie was trying to mount her at 5.45am this morning and she was grunting and squeeking, but didn't attempt to get out of his way.:(
The vet siad her tummy was a bit hard and she could feel some poos inside. She wants to monitor her wees and poos and also said she would give her some metacloperamide. I am taking Eric and Ernie down to get her later as Eric has been looking for her:(

I wish I knew what was causing her pain.:cry::cry: I hope the vets do more than just watch her though. I need to know what's going on.

My poor Honey!:cry::cry:

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry. I forgot to say. Thank you for all your comments and vibes.

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 05:31 PM
The vet called me earleir to say they wanted to keep Honey in. They close at 3pm so it will be another vet monitoring her and he will update me early evening. She hasn't eaten or been to the toilet. The phone call can't come quick enough.:cry::cry:
She has had some fibreplex(sp)and something else, but can't remember. It will come to me and I'll let you know:oops::oops:

My poor girl:cry::cry:

elve_mk2
24-04-2010, 05:49 PM
awww I hope she'll be OK :( they are all moulting like crazy at the moment and I bet she's eaten a load of fur - mine have had a few bouts of stasis this past month just from this :(

donnamt
24-04-2010, 06:00 PM
really hope you get good news soon xxx

Jack's-Jane
24-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Poor Honey :cry:

I hope you receive good news soon xx

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank You everyone. I am getting really worried now. Have been busy sorting out the garage for most of the day, to try and take my mind off her, but now it's been too long. Not sure if I should phone for an update.It is now in emergency time, as was last night and this morning. It's going to cost a fortune. Not that I mind, I just hope they are doing everything possible for her.:cry::cry:

hurricanhoney
24-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Sending loads of vibes for Honey hope you get some news soon.

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I have just called the vets as it has been over 5 hours since the last update and Honey still hasn't eaten or been to the toilet. They are syringe feeding her and she is putting up a fight about that, but the vet isn't happy about me bringing her home. I do hope Eric and Ernie will welcome her back after all this.:cry::cry:
I want her home with me.:cry::cry:

prettylupin
24-04-2010, 07:53 PM
So sorry to hear she is still poorly. :cry: Sounds like full on stasis, poor bun. It must be very hard to be without her, only time will tell if the boys welcome her back - you can but try when the time comes to collect her. If you feel you can manage the syringe feeding and fluids at home then bring her home, I personally feel that buns make more progress back in their home environment where their stress levels are more under control, however, she needs full on nursing so it's really just a question of whether or not you feel confident doing it yourself. If not, then hospitalisation is the best thing, and i'm sure they will do their very best for her as well. So sorry she is so poorly, tons of vibes for Honey to come home soon and to feel better x

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 08:06 PM
So sorry to hear she is still poorly. :cry: Sounds like full on stasis, poor bun. It must be very hard to be without her, only time will tell if the boys welcome her back - you can but try when the time comes to collect her. If you feel you can manage the syringe feeding and fluids at home then bring her home, I personally feel that buns make more progress back in their home environment where their stress levels are more under control, however, she needs full on nursing so it's really just a question of whether or not you feel confident doing it yourself. If not, then hospitalisation is the best thing, and i'm sure they will do their very best for her as well. So sorry she is so poorly, tons of vibes for Honey to come home soon and to feel better x

Thank you so much. The vet did ask me if I was happy to syringe feed her if necessary when she comes home, but he won't let her until her guts start moving. I am praying it happens tonight and I can get her home early in the morning. Thank you for the vibes xx

prettylupin
24-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Getting the guts moving is crucial. If you feel confident with the vet on this one then that's great. If it is any help, in case you wanted to mention it next time you phone, the best way to get the guts moving is with PLENTY of fluids, not just sub-cut but oral too. Until the dehydrated ingesta in the intestine is rehydrated - and buns get VERY dehydrated and can absorb tons of fluid, whatever is behind it will not be able to push it along. Fluids are the key here. Gut motility agents like metclopramide are very helpful alongside as are tummy rubs - if the vet is hopefully doing those for you too. I know my vet does. It can help to stimulate motility as can hopping around... so hopefully they can get her out of the cage and encourage her to move a bit.

I'm sure she is in safe hands. You must miss her tons, hang in there x

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Getting the guts moving is crucial. If you feel confident with the vet on this one then that's great. If it is any help, in case you wanted to mention it next time you phone, the best way to get the guts moving is with PLENTY of fluids, not just sub-cut but oral too. Until the dehydrated ingesta in the intestine is rehydrated - and buns get VERY dehydrated and can absorb tons of fluid, whatever is behind it will not be able to push it along. Fluids are the key here. Gut motility agents like metclopramide are very helpful alongside as are tummy rubs - if the vet is hopefully doing those for you too. I know my vet does. It can help to stimulate motility as can hopping around... so hopefully they can get her out of the cage and encourage her to move a bit.

I'm sure she is in safe hands. You must miss her tons, hang in there x

Thanks again. I am sure she is in the best place, but would like to see her. I could phone and ask, but I guess it might stress her out seeing me and then I go away again. I will be having a restless night.

Jack's-Jane
24-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh goodness what a worry for you :cry:

Hopefully with intensive treatment overnight Honey's guts will get going again

Please update tomorrow and I'll be thinking of her xx

Captain Helen
24-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi there,

I don't have anything helpful to add, just wanted to wish you luck. My rabbit Storm is spending the night at the vets for the first ever time ever and I hate to think of her being lonely and scared. I'm sure it's the best place for them in the long run.

xH

elve_mk2
24-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I have just called the vets as it has been over 5 hours since the last update and Honey still hasn't eaten or been to the toilet. They are syringe feeding her and she is putting up a fight about that, but the vet isn't happy about me bringing her home. I do hope Eric and Ernie will welcome her back after all this.:cry::cry:
I want her home with me.:cry::cry:

I know that syringe feeding is probably NOT what she needs right now - what she does need is WATER and gentle exercise, as prettylupin said - this is what gets my bunnies through stasis. The only one I took to the vets for treatment years ago, died from being force fed on the vet's advice - sadly a lot of vets don't really understand stasis :(

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Just put Eric and Ernie to bed and locked the catflap in the shed and I think Eric has just realised Honey isn't home. He has covered every inch of the shed and gone back to the catflap to see if I had locked her outside. He then thumped his feet at me. He also checked the NIC cubes wehre she stayed last night.
Poor Eric is wifeless tonight :(
Thankfully he has snuggled up with Ernie, so praying I can get Honey back home early tomorrow. Her husbun is missing her :cry::cry:

prettylupin
24-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I have to say, and not everyone will agree with this which is fair enough, but I DO syringe feed through episodes of bloat and stasis as I believe and have had personal experience many times (I have a recurrent bloater/stasis bun) that the best way to get the guts moving and shift that gas out is by putting food in the other end to stimulate the motility. That said, we do little and often so as not to strain a bloated stomach and the whole thing is pointless without fluids and motility agents alongside to rehydrate the ingesta and stimulate prepulsion of the smooth muscle and encourage the stomach to empty. The use of infacol I find to be highly effective. Massage and exercise are also extremely useful in my book, but everyone has their own method and I fully appreciate that. Of course being certain there is no total obstruction first is a priority.
I'm sure Honey is in the best place and will be home before you know it. Try and get some rest as she will need you refreshed to continue her care tomorrow. :)

Jessica Rabbit
24-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I have to say, and not everyone will agree with this which is fair enough, but I DO syringe feed through episodes of bloat and stasis as I believe and have had personal experience many times (I have a recurrent bloater/stasis bun) that the best way to get the guts moving and shift that gas out is by putting food in the other end to stimulate the motility. That said, we do little and often so as not to strain a bloated stomach and the whole thing is pointless without fluids and motility agents alongside to rehydrate the ingesta and stimulate prepulsion of the smooth muscle and encourage the stomach to empty. The use of infacol I find to be highly effective. Massage and exercise are also extremely useful in my book, but everyone has their own method and I fully appreciate that. Of course being certain there is no total obstruction first is a priority.
I'm sure Honey is in the best place and will be home before you know it. Try and get some rest as she will need you refreshed to continue her care tomorrow. :)
Thank you again. I really hope they are giving her lots of fluids, but I won't know anymore until tomorrow now.

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I hope that this morning will bring good news about Honey xx

Jessica Rabbit
25-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Thank you for all the vibes for Honey.

I have just heard back from the vet and Honey has eaten and been to the toilet overnight:D:D
So I am off to get her back now and see what's been going on with her.
Next step when back home, settle her back in with her husbuns:D:D

Hope all the other poorly buns out there get better soon.

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Thank you for all the vives for Honey.

I have just heard back from the vet and Honey has eaten and been to the toilet overnight:D:D
So I am off to get her back now and see what's been going on with her.
Next step when back home, settle her back in with her husbuns:D:D

Hope all the other poorly buns out there get better soon.

Phew, thank goodness for that !!

Maybe she's due a Dental ?

elve_mk2
25-04-2010, 10:42 AM
awww I'm so glad she's improving now :D

Shellypops
25-04-2010, 10:51 AM
That sounds positive, she will probably do much better at home with her husbuns and mummy.. sending recovery vibes your way!:D

donnamt
25-04-2010, 06:48 PM
really glad Honey is feeling better :D

poppymoon
25-04-2010, 07:58 PM
i've only just seen this, hope she's ok:)

Jessica Rabbit
25-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Honey is doing better now. She is still not completely right as she is not eating much, but at least she is eating small amounts and going to the toilet. I still think there may be something underlying, but will keep an eye on her over the next few days.
I think she has lost all trust in me and she still has to have some meds for the next 6 days. Could take a while until she comes for cuddles again:cry:
But at least she is back home now with her boys! And they are pleased to have her home too!

prettylupin
25-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Pleased to hear she is home and doing ok. :)