• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are some bunnies better off alone?

H Maughan

Mama Doe
I recently tried to bond my single bunny Dillan in with my pair of two girls. All went well and they were all soon happily living with each other. However, on wednesday morning a scrap broke out between the two girls.

Sally by nature has always been the more dominant one, she's pretty highly strung and is always the one trying to escape or bossing around little Megan. Megan on the other hand is a very timid little bunny. She's a very small dutch rabbit (possibly a dwarf) and I adopted her from P@H when she was probably around 6 months old. She's never been the most sociable bunny and I've been happy to leave her to do her thing and not pester her for cuddles.
Since the fight broke out I've had to remove Megan from Dillan and Sally as I didn't want any serious injuries happening.

When I did try bonding again Sally was immediately chasing her and trying to bite :(

So now Megan is now single, but I've noticed she seems to be a little happier in herself. She's got the run of the garden all day and she isn't hiding like she used to when living with the other rabbits.

Do you think I should let her be alone? I do have another male and female pair but they're a lot bigger than her and I don't want her to be overdominated again like before.

Helen xx

I think so as well. It definitely seems like she's happier now, alone. My question would be though how do you know if your bunny is one who would rather be alone, or one you should find a hubby/wife for?

I think so as well. It definitely seems like she's happier now, alone. My question would be though how do you know if your bunny is one who would rather be alone, or one you should find a hubby/wife for?

I'm not quite sure how she feels about it in herself. I found that when she was bonded with Sally and then with Dillan she would always be the one who was dominated by the others. I found when the other two were running about she'd keep well out of the way.

Today she seems a little tired from exploring the garden yesturday. I think I'm just going to see how she goes. Possibly look into getting a rabbit the same size as her to live with.. She is a very tiny rabbit. When I adopted her I thought she was maybe a 3 to 4 month dutch.. but she hasn't grown at all :lol:.

Helen xx

Back