• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I did something I swore I never would

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I let Charlie meet one of my cats :shock:
I let him meet the oldest cat who's almost 18 now, mainly because he's so old and frail that I could just easily get hold of him if he did anything and I was sat above the cat ready to grab him the whole time.
Anyway... It went well!
Charlie wasn't bothered, and the cat wasn't bothered enough to get up off my comfy bed :lol:
Didn't let them get too close but I'm amazed that they were both so happy, I might let them both out together more often now. Obviously supervised!

I knew the cat was not gonna go straight for him because they sit in the same room a lot, but with the rabbit in the cage. But I'm happy :)

I wouldnt DARE let Ruby meet my lot unless bars are between.
A few weeks ago, Gus, my siamese, was really poorly and rather boot him out the lounge so Ruby could have a fly free, I left Gus asleep on the cushion!!
WRONG MOVE!!!!!!!!
He was up before I could say Boo to a Goose.......:lol::lol:
Despite feeling really poorly....:roll::roll::roll:

I wouldnt DARE let Ruby meet my lot unless bars are between.
A few weeks ago, Gus, my siamese, was really poorly and rather boot him out the lounge so Ruby could have a fly free, I left Gus asleep on the cushion!!
WRONG MOVE!!!!!!!!
He was up before I could say Boo to a Goose.......:lol::lol:
Despite feeling really poorly....:roll::roll::roll:

:lol: I wouldn't let them near Willow, coz I know he LOVES birds :shock:
But I felt safer because Charlies the size of the cat, and heavier :lol:

I'm surprised a cat went for an African Grey though :shock: Although my mams friends cat once brought a macaw home :shock::oops:

Ruby is just a tad bigger than a pigeon...Thats her nickname....
Im trying to teach her to say Birdie Boiler.....Months now...Nothing!!!!:lol::roll:

My girls are now getting curious to the buns, they used to be scared of them.

Last week on cleaning out the buns, I found Ava in Sophie and Granites run, just looking at me saying "well, I got in mam, but I can't find the way out" Daft Cat.

I have found the only time the cats are really interested is when the buns are having a good run around, I think it is the action that sparks instinct in my pair.

my cats and rabbits free range together all the time as the bunnies are free range in the garden and the cats have access to the garden 24/7 and never had any trouble

Our cat who passed away last year was fine with the bun and piggies. He never really bothered with them at all and wasnt an attention seeker so never worried if we snuggled them and not him. I trust our dogs with the rabbit too, although I keep them away from the piggies as the size difference is just too much. I wouldnt ever trust anyone elses dog there though, even my aunts, they have to stay shut away from everything.

Hi :wave: Our 5 cats and 2 buns get on very well and play together most evenings. Their current favourite 'game' is taking control of the play tunnel - they ALL try to squeeze in there!!

Our current dog is three and although he has been with us from a puppy so with rabbits since then we would never leave him unattended with them. In fact tonight when the dog came in after his walk he made a beeline for Miss Bit. It's a pity because previously our dogs though older and more docile were fine with the rabbits and we had no concerns.

What I always think about is what if something happened - for us we wouldn't just lose one of our much loved buns, we would also lose the love for our dog because I couldn't continue to share our home with him if he hurt or killed a bun! I guess sometimes its best not to put temptation in the way!!

My cat's a bit scared of the bunnies but she plays with them sometimes and I've seen grooming on both sides :love: it's like she's unsure of them
but wants their attention bless her :D

Our parrot always wanted to get on the floor with the bunnies. So one day he just flew down right beside them.

Changed his ideas straight away when our male lop started to groom him.:lol:

My Ruby blows kisses to my bunnies.....she pops right down to the bottom of her cage, makes kissy noises and says "Come on" to any of my 4 buns, particularly Lily.Absolutely priceless!!
(She sounds such a lovely parrot but shes a rotter to me!!! Lunges and all sorts!! ADORES my next door neighbour, yet imitates me.I guess shes just doing what the birdie books say.....I get so jealous cos I love my Rubes!!!)
059.jpg

054.jpg

His name is Eric or Ricky.

He is due a visit to the vet in the next few months so I will do some pics of him after that and post them. He had hepatitis a good while back with some damage to his liver which causes some of his feathers to go yellow instead of green and his beak to grow. He is like a dental bun and has to have his beak burred back under anaesthetic to its right shape, as it is now due he doesn't look too handsome.

I have put a link to his vet's website which has a picture of the male and some information about the Eclectus.

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/bird/eclectus/eclectus.html

I'll stop birdjacking this thread.:)

Back