• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I mad?

KB

Mama Doe
Probably mentioned before that its really hard to get decent quality anything for buns here in NZ.
Over the last couple of months I have been researching & organising the importation of some good pellets. Although the buns don't get lots I want what they do have to be good quality.
After getting some info from Lobo (one of the Aussie RUers) I was able to get Oxbow Australia to send Bunny Basics T to me. But only after getting permission from MAF (Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries) to allow it into the country.
Today I got 5x 2.25kg bags Fedexed to me!!!! Am very excited, hope the buns forgive me as I start transitioning them onto it as of today.
Anyway now for the sanity questioning bit.....the cost.
$246 (Aus) + $25 (NZ) for a further MAF inspection fee. Aussie $ are worth a little more than NZ$. Over 1/2 the cost was shipping.
Am feeling a bit guilty, thats a lot of money, though at 2 eggcups a day it will last then a good while.
Am justifying it by thinking that the animals are my kids, I feed the cats & dogs good food & want to do the same for the buns......but still feel :oops: that I've spent all this money. Haven't told my partner about it either!
Just need a few RUers to tell me that I am doing the right thing!

:lol: Bunny Basics T is one of the best pellets. Mine have been on it for a couple of years. They have lovely shiny coats. I was buying a 4.5kg bag for approx £15 here but it is not readily available in pet shops.

I am just trying mine on some Allen & Page to see how it goes too - they are £7 for a huge sack.

Thanks guys I know I'm among friends with you lot! :D
Feel better now :lol:
Only problem being predictably the buns have carefully picked out their old pellets & left the new healthy ones :lol: guess they think they are healthy & shiny enough already!!!

I never disclose the true cost of these things to my partner. But he's a bit dozy and last week told me he thought I earned about 5k less than I do. Which would explain his ignorance about the cost of rabbit care...

Thanks guys I know I'm among friends with you lot! :D
Feel better now :lol:
Only problem being predictably the buns have carefully picked out their old pellets & left the new healthy ones :lol: guess they think they are healthy & shiny enough already!!!

Mine did that when I changed him over to Oxbow... bless him he was not impressed! Persevere... it did Mr Fluffs the world of good once he had accepted it.

Gosh Bron I wouldn't have expected that much for postage. :shock:
Their e-bay store quotes $AU24 for the pellets, which seems to be what you were charged.

I don't know how much I pay for them as they are usually part of the vet bill after a visit, but I will ask next time.

Good luck with the change-over and don't forget to keep putting the uneaten ones back...will save money too.:)

Gosh Bron I wouldn't have expected that much for postage. :shock:
Their e-bay store quotes $AU24 for the pellets, which seems to be what you were charged.

I don't know how much I pay for them as they are usually part of the vet bill after a visit, but I will ask next time.

Good luck with the change-over and don't forget to keep putting the uneaten ones back...will save money too.:)

Hi Norm,
Got charged $21 per bag (no GST) but the shipping was the killer.
Anyway they have been eating it fairly willingly after the initial meeting. They leave it to last but they do eat it all so I'm not anticipating any more problems on that front. They are both very food orientated.
I was telling a friend about it yesterday & she suggested I become the NZ agent for Oxbow! Might work but I'm not sure if most Kiwis are ready to feed their buns better but more expensive food.

Bless 'ya I think that's lovely of you to do that for your buns! :love:

My two have Bunny Basics T and look fantastic on it. They both love it.

I think you ARE mad, but I think it's worth it and it makes you a brilliant owner! :lol::love:
Thanks Steph :lol:
Think I'm mad among equals here though!
Been biking to work so saving money on petrol.....so maybe it evens out a bit!
And this choice has not left us destitute.
Its good just to have the support of some other 'bunny geeks' because they are few & far between here.

Back