• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bigger house more bunnies!

i'm up to no good again with my mission for more bunnies!:lol:

at the moment my 2 rabbits live in a shed in hutchs and during the day are in a run on the grass. but iv hatched an idea that has been a quiet idea for a while now.

my idea is at the back of the garden to build a mega rabbit house! basically (try to stay with me as it may not make sence in some parts) at the back of the garden theres a nice big space thats free! its 9ft in length and 7ft in width. so lovely and big! so iv drawn up a plan so we build like a massive run on this space the 2 hutches i have will be at the back against the fence about a foot infront of the hutches will be a small piece of wood going across the whole length! and the whole bit will have hay and straw down for a dry and warm place for them. and the rest will just be grass for them to graze on! (the piece of wood across the length will help to keep the hay and straw seperate from the grass) half of the run will be roofed to stop the hutches and hay getting wet but the grass will be left for all weathers as it wont grow if its not getting sun and rain. i no that it will take a lot of care to keep clean but that doesnt bother me.

its a bit more natural for them! they get to graze alot more and in nice weather the hutches will be left open of a night so they get to graze of a night to. they will have there hutches to run to for safety if they feel the need and will have lots of hay and straw to forage in. and with all that space i could fit an extra 2 bunnies in8) or atleast a guniea pig;)

i spoke to my dad today and hes going to draw up some real plans and get some wood to start the build! dont worry we dont have foxes in owner gardens and the run will be made fox and cat proof anyway! the bit he doesnt no is that once its all up that im planning on getting some more rabbits:lol: i want to adopt the next ones as i bought rascal and got thumpa of a friend so id really like to rehome one maybe 2 this time!

what you think? im i totally crazy?

if you can rescue some bunnies i would say go for it - theres loads that needs a new home.. If i had more space i would deffo rescue more buns.

Its hard to envisage your set up - my brain isnt working properly - but how much space will each pair have? and its always best to fox proof everything as you can never be sure there arent foxes about!

Good Luck with the plan

really guinea pigs and rabbits cant be housed together? iv had guinea pigs and rabbits together a few times! twice actually and they were fine... opps naughty me.. i didnt no! will just be rehoming rabbits then!

i hope to put them in all together both my rabbits are sprayed/neutered so no baby making! (they do live together all the time sorry didnt mention this) i didnt really want to have to split it as it would be lovley for them all to have such a big amount of space.. but now thinking about it what rabbits would i have to get? males or females or doesnt it matter if they dont get along just simply seperate them?

spoke to my dad and he sed when could maybe move the shed away closer to the house which would make there run somthing like 12ft by 8ft if i made it a tiny bit wider!!:shock::shock: with 2 hutches that are sized to house 2 large rabbits that should be more than enough room for them surely!

That sounds like a lovely sized space for your buns!:D
Have alook at some of the thread in this section about bonding rabbits - you can't just put them straight in with each other in case they fight. There are lots of useful tips if you read the threads, or you could start your own thread to ask specific questions.:)

Back