• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chlorine

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Hi just a quick question, we live in an open plan flat (There is no kitchen door, so is open in to the lounge where Jimby is.) Our sink has been playing up so I brought some Mr Muscle sink and plug unblocker, on the back of the bottle it states 'May release dangerous gases (Chlorine) I have put it down the sink and open the kitchen and lounge windows, will that be ok.
The smell is not too bad actually but I am being a worried bunny mummy.

Last edited:
If you have any known respiratory disease keep out of the house until the gas has dispersed.

I would definately keep your rabbit out of the way of any chlorine gas.

Jims was in another room (the lounge) but there is no door to block off the kitchen which is why I was concerned.

The main problem with chlorine gas is respiratory problems. In theory by now you would know if you or the bun has been affected. Until you are confident that the gas has gone keep the windows open.

We closed the windows at 8pm, so they had been open for 4 full hours.
Jims seems like himself, he did just sneeze a few times but that is not uncommon.
Are there any long term problems that could arise for Jims?

No, honestly i'm sure he's fine. It really isn't anything to worry about, with the windows open it would have been fine. It is unlikely the levels of chlorine gas would be a concern anyway. The product 'may' release chlorine gas if it comes into contact with another compound, it is not a given. It would be no worse than being near a swimming pool which uses chlorination for sterilising. I would avoid using too many chemicals near your buns if you can, find some ecological biodegradable products in future maybe... I use a company called Bio-D, but do use bleach down the loo sometimes, it really is ok, don't worry. :)

No, honestly i'm sure he's fine. It really isn't anything to worry about, with the windows open it would have been fine. It is unlikely the levels of chlorine gas would be a concern anyway. The product 'may' release chlorine gas if it comes into contact with another compound, it is not a given. It would be no worse than being near a swimming pool which uses chlorination for sterilising. I would avoid using too many chemicals near your buns if you can, find some ecological biodegradable products in future maybe... I use a company called Bio-D, but do use bleach down the loo sometimes, it really is ok, don't worry. :)

Thank you so much, you have eased my worries slightly. :)
I am by nature a worrier and made worse by suffering from depression and ocd so I worry A LOT!! :oops:
Jims is my little baby, I couldnt bare anything bad happening to him.
All my family members have said not to worry that with the windows open there would have been enough air and it was not in a confined space but then I can not stop worrying that maybe it could cause some kind of lung problems for Jims? :cry:

All my family members have said not to worry that with the windows open there would have been enough air and it was not in a confined space but then I can not stop worrying that maybe it could cause some kind of lung problems for Jims? :cry:

Very unlikely under that situation. :)

Back