• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where will the unloved rabbits ect. go ? :( Could i help ?

Becky92

Young Bun
When the RSPCA stops taking rabbits/guineapigs/small animals they'l have nowhere to go.

My workplace ( rescue in Bawtry , doncaster ) is full and turning away these small animals already and we have a 3month waiting list 4 dogs and cats. We send the people we turn away to rspca which is up the road, so when they close their doors to the people where will they go :cry:

Theres nowhere else local that i know of , i think the closest is barnsley but people dont want to travel. So they'll just let them go !!!!

Im not in a position to start a rescue but i keep wondering if i could help by taking a few in to find new homes. Also if anyone knows of anyone contact numbers for anyone who takes in rabbits that i could pass on to people anywhere near doncaster/retford/bawtry way on i think that would really help.

Thankyou in advance

I find it hard to believe that after highlighting how rabbits are the most neglected pet in Britain, some RSPCA branches are now going to stop taking them in..some already have:(

A warning to you if you decide to take in a couple..you will soon have more people then you expect trying to leave their pets with you..be very careful unless you have the space, time and money to cope with several very ill rabbits at a time.
It's hard but the best thing you can do is keep working at your rescue and look after the ones that come in there as best you can.

Pass on Rabbit Rehome details to anyone who no longer wants there rabbit as they can post it on there to try to find a home

Last edited:
Ambience on here, I think is in Donny area, but I don't really know them- they were talking of starting a Rescue I think?

Like you say there's BARC in Barnsley. Could you offer to foster for a Rescue? I've done this for a while (although dropped off with my myxi issues last Sept). It's good cos you get all the good bits with none of the responsibility of vet bills/rehoming.:D And you can stop at any time - not like when you are a Rescue & the phone rings non-stop

I find it hard to believe that after highlighting how rabbits are the most neglected pet in Britain, some RSPCA branches are now going to stop taking them in..some already have:(

Yes - ours hasn't since the 2007 floods.

The only other rescues I know of around here excluding BARC, aren't great. I wouldn't be happy taking animals there.

There is a large Guinea Pig Rescue in Doncaster but they are full to overflowing. I am amazed the RSPCA are going to be turning pets away as we were only approached a few weeks ago to ask if we could help them with the bunny situation.

A warning to you if you decide to take in a couple..you will soon have more people then you expect trying to leave their pets with you..be very careful unless you have the space, time and money to cope with several very ill rabbits at a time.
It's hard but the best thing you can do is keep working at your rescue and look after the ones that come in there as best you can.

Pass on Rabbit Rehome details to anyone who no longer wants there rabbit as they can post it on there to try to find a home

Absolutely agree.:)

I wonder if rabbits are so neglected because they are silent by their own biology? Dogs and cats can scratch and bite. Poor rabbits just suffer their neglect in silence.:cry:

When I first heard of this, I wanted to start a campaign to make the RSPCA do a U turn.

Ive since read this article in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7611534/RSPCA-will-reject-unwanted-pets-to-cut-costs.html

The comments at the bottom of the article say that the RSPCA spent a ridiculous amount of money on advertising. Why are they not reducing this and continuing to help animals?

If the branches are independently run, does this mean that they don't receive any money from Head Office? If that is correct, how can the RSPCA save money by not taking in relinguished pets if they are not paying for the branches.

Where will all the unloved rabbits etc. go? (could i help)?

So what exactly are the RSPCA going to do now:?they are sitting on £119 million per year and are the animal charity that most people think of if they find a stray:cry:will many bother to look up a local rescue:roll:eek:nly those of us who are already "into2 rescue work will do that so lots of stray animals will just stay abondoned:censored:
They have said in their statement that they will continue to work with cruelty cases but surely abandining a pet is cruelty:cry:
The local branches will probably still take on strays as this has come from HQ which is now run as a buisness:evil:therfore they must show a profit at the end of the year or cut down as they are now doing:evil:they no longer care about animals plight just making money:censored:

Back