• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice - distance to Vet (right section?)

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi:)

Note sure if this is the right section, but here goes....

Have been researching for a rabbit savvy vet for last few weeks & have got a recommendation from a rabbit rescue centre - they seem good and want to try them - problem is the distance.

They have 2 centres - one of which is open 24hrs for emergency.
One is about a 27 min drive & then the emergency one if about 35-40 mins drive away SO - dont mind the distance for usual things like vacs etc BUT am worried that in an emergency they owuld be too far and Id risk losing my rabbit if I cant get there quick enough - of course all on presumption that it owuld be a life & death situaiton in the emergency.

What better - haveing a closer vet - which I cant seem to find a rabbit savy one that Im convince of OR a further one & possible risk my bunnies life if its too far?:cry:

PLease do advise - im just so unsure of whats the best option!:oops::?

Many thanks!

:wave: My bunny savvy vet is 30-40 mins away depending on the traffic. I go more local for vacs. I have been there on a couple of Xmas days as I had emergencies and the other week after 6pm. I would always try to go there first in an emergency.

It is important to have a good vet, however it is also good to have a back up plan in case you felt you had to get there before 30 mins.

Our vet is 20 mins away and the emergency vets are 30 mins away if not a bit further. For regular stuff and emergency appointments in the middle of the night - the roads are empty and there has *touch wood* been nothing so urgent that it couldn't wait 30 mins whilst we get there, especially if I do some basic care on the way, warmth, pain relief etc.
If there was such an emergency that my rabbits needed IMMEDIATE care such as oxygen from an anaphylactic shock or very heavy wound for example I would probably just dash to the closest vet to us down the road, especially if traffic was heavy, and demand to be treated.... not very ethical but these things can happen and I would be surprised if they turned a very sick rabbit away.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!:love::love::love:

Ive got the feeling that some folks think Im abit fussy over what vet i join (cause its just a rabbit - surely anyone could care for it!:roll:)....so am so pleased that this is kinda the norm!

Now for a test drive run of where it actually is!:shock:

Im going to book in their vacs now! wahooooooo! I guess I can decide if they need treatment or can do a 40 min drive to get there.....like you mentioned - often the 24 emergency vets are a drive away anyway....but will get some local vet info incase!:)

thanks so much!:wave:

oooh - they also have a converted small van into a pet ambulance!

don't forget that during 'emergency' hours the traffic will also be much clearer than normal hours - so may be a bit quicker.

Amazing how empty the roads are at 3am in the morning!

It's worth checking how they provide emergency cover before you commit to one assuming they will also be bunny savvy for emergencies. Some vets that have a rabbit savvy day vet don't have emergency cover by vets with similar knowledge. It's then pot luck whether the rabbit vet is the one on call. Others have several rabbit vets and can cover bunny emergencies 24/7.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!:love::love::love:

Ive got the feeling that some folks think Im abit fussy over what vet i join (cause its just a rabbit - surely anyone could care for it!:roll:)....so am so pleased that this is kinda the norm!

Don't take any notice of what other people think - it's you who's responsible for the fur-babies and if it puts your mind at rest that your doing what's best for them then that's perfectly acceptable!

My bunny-savvy vet is in Northampton which is 30 mins away in a traffic-free situation. I always go to them, even for routine vacs. The buns get a thorough MOT every time they go and I trust my vets implicitly. I don't even mind that I pay slightly more for the vacs than I possibly would elsewhere. They know my bunny 'history' and they know me as an owner. HOWEVER, if I had a bunny who was bleeding to death, I'd simply rush to the closest vet about 2 minutes away. You have to assess each emergency and decide whether you need 'a vet' or a 'bunny vet'. If you bunny is going to die without seeing a vet in the next 15 mins then that pretty much answers your question.

It's worth checking how they provide emergency cover before you commit to one assuming they will also be bunny savvy for emergencies. Some vets that have a rabbit savvy day vet don't have emergency cover by vets with similar knowledge. It's then pot luck whether the rabbit vet is the one on call. Others have several rabbit vets and can cover bunny emergencies 24/7.

oooh thanks - will check this out - funny - sometimes they receptionists are funny abou these questions as they think their vets are good with all animals......well! we will see! :lol:

Don't take any notice of what other people think - it's you who's responsible for the fur-babies and if it puts your mind at rest that your doing what's best for them then that's perfectly acceptable!

My bunny-savvy vet is in Northampton which is 30 mins away in a traffic-free situation. I always go to them, even for routine vacs. The buns get a thorough MOT every time they go and I trust my vets implicitly. I don't even mind that I pay slightly more for the vacs than I possibly would elsewhere. They know my bunny 'history' and they know me as an owner. HOWEVER, if I had a bunny who was bleeding to death, I'd simply rush to the closest vet about 2 minutes away. You have to assess each emergency and decide whether you need 'a vet' or a 'bunny vet'. If you bunny is going to die without seeing a vet in the next 15 mins then that pretty much answers your question.

right- get you!:)
Yeah - im happy if my minds at reat - Im hoping this vet is good - will be seeing her tomorrow and asked for her specifically - she was rec. by a rabbit rescue centre - as I dont have any clue if they are good or not - Im hoping Im not too gullible!

Whats generally done in a bunny MOT?
Im asking for:
Nails to be clipped & to show me how so i can do at home.
Teeth check
Eyes & ears check

1st vac - so presume if will be myxi

Anything else I should ask about or expect to have done?
Worming?

cheers!:D

At a general check up or before a vaccination my vet would do the following:
Check bunny all over, feel abdomen and for any enlarged organs, feel stomach and intestines and stand bunny up on his hind legs and check down his tummy/her tummy and around the genital area and bottom - make sure all is as it should be and not inflammed, fly strike etc.
If your bun has been spayed/neutered before you got them vet will check any wound sites and feel for any scar tissue etc.
Check down the spine and back of neck for mites in the fur.
Examine ears using scope, check eyes, mouth - using scope to see molar teeth. Fur under and around the chin and nose.
Check nails - although I do my own buns and they know this so don't really bother with this one. Get scanner out and check their microchips! :D
Weigh bunny and keep a chart on the computer.

All the while checking a verbal history with you that bunny is eating properly, doing droppings properly etc, and problems that you are aware of etc.

If your bun has had neither vaccination then most vets will do Myxi first as the risks are higher, then wait two weeks before giving VHD.
Appointments aren't very long and sometimes it can feel a bit rushed. If you have a lot of questions you want to ask then book a double appointment so your vet doesn't feel under time pressure. :wave:

Back