• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire mesh- what is okay for under runs?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I've just about had enough of having to grow new grass where the bunnys keep digging it up and filling in burrows everyday after they have been out. There must be an easier way?

Also i'm not happy about having to keep some of my rabbits on ground that has no grass, as i feel they it's important they get grass daily, this is due to the good digging job they have done making certain areas more like a mud pit than a grassed garden under the run.

My solution is wire mesh- i did buy an enormous amount of chicken wire then decided not to use it, as it was rusty when it arrived from the ebay provider and the whole sizing between the mesh looked unsafe.

I found this site http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Wire-Mesh-Galvanized-c-1.html

I'm just not entirely sure what size mesh would be appropriate for using ontop of the grass. I am going to be moving the runs around, they are the metal kind of enclosures with green roofing that are about six foot, so i need something to cover the width if that makes sense.

Very confused. Maybe i'd be better going to b & q or picking some out or the range.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

What sort of sizing do you want? :) Weld mesh (square shaped) is stronger than chicken wire.

If you want to stop them digging the soil at all then I would probably go for 1" square. I think 2" might give them just enough space to make little holes.

Why not have a look in your local DIY shop - sometimes it's easier to decide hands on rather than guess from measurements then compare the price with what you can get online :)

Thanks Tamsin,

I think you are right, will be able to see the width too :) I ended up with so much chicken wire from ebay- but totally not what i was looking for, probably best seeing it in person as you say. 1 inch. Thanks i'll bear that in mind. The sizing is to cover six ft by four ft runs. I am going to get quite abit to put under my existing runs.

Sizing Wire Mesh

Did anyone ever come up with any good ideas on what size might be best to use? I think square if the way to go for strength of the material, just not sure how big or small I want these openings to be.

I looked through Mcmaster Carr industrial supply for some ideas, and their website was pretty helpful, but I decided to order from Belleville because they had the best price, and knew exactly what kind of project I was working on, and what people has used for similar projects in the past:

http://www.bwire.com/

They also have a reference section in their website that will guide you when trying to decide what size mesh you are going to need to use.

Back