• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worries

Domino27

Mama Doe
I've been reading a few threads about post-op neutering behaviour and getting a tad worried about mine, though may possibly be worrying for nothing?
Mine came back from the vets today at 5, the nurse said she'd been eating so I thought excellent. Anyway, since being back she's not touched a thing, water or food and I've got all her favourite "naughty" goodies out for her. I know females can take longer to come around due to the nature of the op so hopefully it's just that? I tried to put some water in her mouth but she wasn't for having that either, however she did get some so I feel slightly better that she won't be dehydrated....am I over-reacting? Never had a bunny spayed before so not sure what to expect

I think if she's still not eaten/drunk what I've left her by tomorrow late morning then I'll call the vets and see.

How long's it been? If she hasn't by tomorrow then take her back.

....Is she hunched up, or flopped out? If she's hunched...and doesn't look like she wants to move, then she could be in pain.

She's mainly flopped, has been sleeping all day. The collar does get in the way and she's been trying to clean herself to no avail, bless. I tried wafting stuff under her nose but she turned away in disgust...

She's mainly flopped, has been sleeping all day. The collar does get in the way and she's been trying to clean herself to no avail, bless. I tried wafting stuff under her nose but she turned away in disgust...

Flopping is good. Has she eaten anything?

She ate after the operation apparently but I've not seen her eat anything and nothing seems to be touched. I have tomato, banana, broccoli (cheerios - yes i know they shouldn't have this but she loves them!), carrot, cabbage, pellets....and nothing's moved.

I soaked some pellets and mushed them to a soft texture....mashed in banana, apple and basil...it worked in small bits and a few days later was fine...is the collar hindering her with food? mine didn't wear one...also water on a saucer could help

I soaked some pellets and mushed them to a soft texture....mashed in banana, apple and basil...it worked in small bits and a few days later was fine...is the collar hindering her with food? mine didn't wear one...also water on a saucer could help

I'll try that tomorrow morning, thanks. I've piled the food high so the collar shouldn't get in the way. The vet said to keep it on a week...?! I also have a small dish with water in as well as well as a lot of towels in there for her to flop on..

I couldn't advise re the collar I'm afraid, not experience of one...basil has a strong smell and could be tempting for her...I gradually changed the consistency...Bella was like your bun at first, she should start picking up soon...

Thanks, just glad I'm not in work til friday night else I'd be stressing about how she was even more. I'll see how tomorrow fairs and hopefully see some nom bites in the morning :0) I might take the collar off after she's been to the checkup on friday.

No, no hay either. She's not a massive hay fan really even though I have plenty in the hutch usually with her. I think I'll be cooking up some bizarre mix tomorrow morn! Cheers for all your advice. I think next time I'll go for a neutered bun as I can't cope with all this worry ;) maybe a little friend for dom :)

Well my OH is currently building the biggest run I have ever seen for one small minilop....I think he got carried away with his ideas. Anyway, it's going to have a partition down the middle "just in case" he said. I think he's after another one even though he thinks rabbits are "silly" and would prefer a dog...secretly think he's an avid bunny lover :0)

update...

She managed a really tiny bit of mushed banana at half 3 this morn but that's it. One thing is she's weeing, obviously no poos and still not taking water. Think if still no joy at midday I'll be taking her back. She doesn't look in pain as totally flopped out and sleeping.

She managed a really tiny bit of mushed banana at half 3 this morn but that's it. One thing is she's weeing, obviously no poos and still not taking water. Think if still no joy at midday I'll be taking her back. She doesn't look in pain as totally flopped out and sleeping.

Buster collars are NOT a good idea for rabbits and should only be used if absolutely necessary. It can prevent them being able to drink from a bottle or bowl and dehydration post-op is a big concern. When did your bun last have pain relief?

If it were my bun I would be taking her back right away this morning for pain relief if she has not had any in the last 24 hours, gut motility medication AND would be asking for sub-cutaneous fluids as I would be very concerned at this point about her hydration levels.

ETA I certainly would not be keeping a collar on for a week! :shock: Did the vet tell you this?... rabbits wearing collars can not reach their bottoms and their caecotrophs and whilst ok for a few days I would not be wanting them missing out on essential nutrients at a time of stress for a whole week. If bun is interested in pulling stitches a far safer method is for the vet operating to use alternative stitching (internal) and if necessary tight abdominal bandaging if bun is pulling, but not buster collars, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Sorry, I see she came home at 5pm yesterday? She should have had pain relief post-op so she might be ok on that front until lunchtime today. If she is flopped she might just be recovering still. I would take her back at lunchtime if she still hasn't eaten or drunk anything for pain relief and some fluids. :)

Yay!

Sorry, I see she came home at 5pm yesterday? She should have had pain relief post-op so she might be ok on that front until lunchtime today. If she is flopped she might just be recovering still. I would take her back at lunchtime if she still hasn't eaten or drunk anything for pain relief and some fluids. :)

No worries :) yes she did come home at 5 yesterday. She had a pain relief and anti-inflam injection which lasted 24 hours. I took her back this morning anyway as I was concernred about the no water situation. The vet said she wasn't dehydrated yet and her gut was moving along nicely still. He gave her another anti-inflam injection just in case she was still in pain and just said give it another 24 hours. I still have my free check up tomorrow morn anyway. Whole thing cost me 86p :lol:

Anyhoo I got her home a short while ago after going to Sainsbury's yet again to get celery and other yummy noms that I didn't have before. She is currently going throught the celery leaves at top speed :love: :D I took the collar off as well as tbh it was probably doing her nut in. I am very pleased she's actually eaten something :D

Back