• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BONDING PLAN - is it ok?

susieb1

Mama Doe
Hi,
Next Friday I am going to try and bond Cookie ( neutered male 1yr) and Honey (spayed doe 8 months). They have been leaving next to each other for 6 months and when one is free range they run either side of the wire, lick each others noses and paws ( what they can get to anyway). They have also shared toys for the last 6 months and I also have a jacket which I usually wear whan cuddling them so they are used to each others scent.

Plan is (everything neutralised)
Day 1- put them together in a 5 x 3 run in my kitchen ( no toys ).
Day 2- as Day 1.
Day 3- introduce an odd toy or two.
Day 4- move them into their new hutch, 5x2x2 double storey plus 5x3 attached run.( all in the outhouse)
Day 5 to 8 as day 4.
Day 8 add their new 8 x 5 run to the hutch instead of the 5 x 3.
Day 14 - allow them access to the 7 x 5 outdoor run from their indoor run

Does this sound ok as an initial plan if all goes well? Also from day 5 I will be back at work until day 8,9,10 then day 14,15. Any advice gladly received!!!!:wave:

Go slower on the space. Start off with 5 x2, then when you move them into the hutch use one level for 48 hours, then increase after 48 hours to two levels, then 48 hours if they are still settled add the first run. Then about 5 days later add the second run.

if you go too quickly you will more than likely get fighting.

I agree with janice-arc,dont give too much too soon.I also wouldnt like to put a time scale on it-some bunnies hit it off straight away others may take longer than your plans.:)

I agree with janice-arc,dont give too much too soon.I also wouldnt like to put a time scale on it-some bunnies hit it off straight away others may take longer than your plans.:)

Thanks, yes my plan was on the assumption that all is going well but I will definately take your advice. It is so scary isn't it. I love them both so much and I'm dreading it all going wrong and the possibility of one being hurt.:?

Back