• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not keen on being touched..

My bunny is 3yrs and is extremely friendly to an extent, the thing is he'll climb all over you and nudge you for food but as soon as you attempt to touch him he bolts for his stool (which he sits under) don't like to feel like I'm scaring him but I have to pick him up to o the necessary health checks :? He is a rescue bun I wonder if he had a bad experience with owners grabbing at him when he was younger? Is there anything I can do to make him relax abit?

I have a little trick you can try, Tilly is also like this, I use a cuddly toy hand puppet to stroke her with, It works a treat, she doesn't run away.

:wave:We found this article very helpful. Especially the bits about getting to nose rubs and then eventually being able to stroke our rabbit.

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/site/bonding

She now lays flat for ages being stroked and sometimes even 'buzzes'.:)

I don't know how much of this applies to your situation and your rabbit but it certainly helped us.

Hi :wave:

I think some buns just don't really like to be touched very much. We had Bob from a baby and he would tell you he can't get enough cuddles. Olive came to live with us in December and prior to being rescued had been passed from pillar to post. She loves a nose rub now but never from strangers (Bob will pretty much go to anyone) and the 'loves' she's given have to be on her terms (she likes something behind her like a wall - I think she needs to feel safe).

A friend of mine took in a bun who hated contact with humans. He was very inquisitive and would run up to her, nudge things and run around, but the minute she went near him for a stroke or nose rub, he'd dash off under the table.
He's much better now (after lots of care and love) but I think his past will not allow him to ever feel entirely at ease with being petted...but he is VERY happy.

Does he have a bunny companion at all? That might help. Olive is way more chilled out about stuff when she sees Bob doesn't give a hoot.

My bunny is 3yrs and is extremely friendly to an extent, the thing is he'll climb all over you and nudge you for food but as soon as you attempt to touch him he bolts for his stool (which he sits under) don't like to feel like I'm scaring him but I have to pick him up to o the necessary health checks :? He is a rescue bun I wonder if he had a bad experience with owners grabbing at him when he was younger? Is there anything I can do to make him relax abit?

This sounds exactly like Dill.He will climb all over you,chase you for food but if you try & stroke him he tenses up & runs.I used to think he was unhappy with us but I realise its just him.He was a rescue bun so it makes you wonder why he is like he is.If he was unhappy he would be tense the whole time you are in the room but Dill lays full stretch,eyes tight shut.That doesn't sound like an unhappy bun to me & neither does what you say about your bun.Im sure your bun loves you in his own way.Have you got another bunny?I often wonder if Dill would be more attatched to us if he hadn't bonded with B or whether he would've been exactly the same.If B goes before Dill I think I would keep him on his own for a few weeks to try & get that bond though im hoping B will live a long while yet so hopefully we will have bonded more by then.
With Dill,we have adjusted our way of thinking.We dont expect kisses & cuddles from him but watching him play is enough for us now.He is so cheeky & makes us laugh without the contact.Over time your bun may trust you more but if not enjoy him at arms length & see how much he will make you smile.:)

Hi :wave:

Does he have a bunny companion at all? That might help. Olive is way more chilled out about stuff when she sees Bob doesn't give a hoot.

Dill is much more amenable to strokes when he can see or feel B next to him.She is like his comfort blanket!

This sounds exactly like Dill.He will climb all over you,chase you for food but if you try & stroke him he tenses up & runs.I used to think he was unhappy with us but I realise its just him.He was a rescue bun so it makes you wonder why he is like he is.If he was unhappy he would be tense the whole time you are in the room but Dill lays full stretch,eyes tight shut.That doesn't sound like an unhappy bun to me & neither does what you say about your bun.Im sure your bun loves you in his own way.Have you got another bunny?I often wonder if Dill would be more attatched to us if he hadn't bonded with B or whether he would've been exactly the same.If B goes before Dill I think I would keep him on his own for a few weeks to try & get that bond though im hoping B will live a long while yet so hopefully we will have bonded more by then.
With Dill,we have adjusted our way of thinking.We dont expect kisses & cuddles from him but watching him play is enough for us now.He is so cheeky & makes us laugh without the contact.Over time your bun may trust you more but if not enjoy him at arms length & see how much he will make you smile.:)

I just wondered if there was anything I could do but I think your right...thats jst the way he is :roll: Yeah he has a girlbun whose the exact oppisite :roll: :lol:

Back