• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Insurance

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
Hiya

Please could you point me in the right direction for bunny insurance??

I've had a quote from petplan but just wondered if anyone could recommend any other companies that cover bunnies (so I can compare price and level of cover etc.)??

Also, how much do you pay per bun per month?

Thanks.

Hi, I pay £24 a month with Petplan for my 2. They are also really good and have always paid out when I've had other animals insured with them including my old horse. I know it seems expensive but trust me you will be glad yuo had insurance one day:wave:

I pay £18 a month for my 2 with petplan - but it doesnt cover dentals which is the only thing ive had wrong with my buns so far :?

Ive got to add 2 more buns on actually!

Do anybody know of any companies which cover dentals these days? :)

Yeah Id like to know abit more here too - got a quote form petplan & it was about £25 per month for 2 dwarf lop females life cover (but also ready all the things they dont cover & it seems like everythingsn ot covered almost?!)

My OH is not to keen on that cost either - we arent "rich" and want to do the best thing - but surely theres cheaper about?

I was quoted £105 a month for 14, i get a discount for so many that's with pet plan, but i'm still making a decision on that one. There are virtually no cheap insurances for bunnys i've looked all over- there are three that i know of including the two mentioned. The other is more expensive. I think i will insure some of mine and wait a little longer for others, it's a gamble, but £100 a month on insurance is alot. I do spent alot on vet bills routinely, but that aswell seems abit too much. Do most people on here have insurance. Having so many bunnies makes it seem inpracticle to me.

Last edited:
I was quoted £105 a month for 14, i get a discount for so many that's with pet plan, but i'm still making a decision on that one. There are virtually no cheap insurances for bunnys i've looked all over- there are three that i know of including the two mentioned. The other is more expensive. I think i will insure some of mine and wait a little longer for others, it's a gamble, but £100 a month on insurance is alot. I do spent alot on vet bills routinely, but that aswell seems abit too much. Do most people on here have insurance. Having so many bunnies makes it seem inpracticle to me.

Wow! That is alot! I would have htought that with so many buns - you would have got a massive discount.....who can afford that!:shock:
Im not even sure at £25 per month as Im struggling to get a fulltime job & we have alow income - its kinds like we may have ot just pay if anything comes up! BUT.....oh gawd - coud be dentals!

Hopefully others will comment on here! Surely theres a really good cheap insurance out there!

£40 a month for my 5 with petplan.
Stew had a lot of treatment and i was dreading the renewal quote - it has gone up just under £1 per month :)

Thanks for your input everyone.

My quote from Petplan was £18 per month for 2 bunnies and a £55 excess and the quote from exotic direct was £15 per month with a £50 excess .... think I'll have a read of the small print and see which covers what and not!

Thanks for your input everyone.

My quote from Petplan was £18 per month for 2 bunnies and a £55 excess and the quote from exotic direct was £15 per month with a £50 excess .... think I'll have a read of the small print and see which covers what and not!

mmm - do let us know the ins & outs! I need insurance ofr my 2 as well!:shock:

Just got one for £82.00 from exotic direct for if they have treatment less than £2000 a year in total.

or £116 if they have treatment for £2000 each.

I spend about £100 a month at the vets currently. I would have to pay the excess as well as the insurance though, so i'm not sure if i'm best just staying as i am and having money in the bank for one off emergencies, savings all that insurance for treatment if that makes sense.

Does anyone else with lots of bunnys insure?

Does anyone else with lots of bunnys insure?

In general it seems to be the case that anyone with less than about 4/6 ish bunnies is more likely to insure, over about that mark and it's more worth putting money aside. I *think* there's some RU members with 10+ insured.

I have 3 out of 4 insured (Artie's over 5 now so too old to start). Roo has loads of exclusions, dental, eyes, face abscesses, gastro-intestinal etc :roll: Esme and Tink have no exclusions. If I take on more bunnies I shall review my decision. I might insure for the first year and if they seem to be healthy then work more on the idea of savings.

Yes i think maybe it's pointless insuring my unhealthy bunnies as they have exceptions but maybe just my healthy ones, that would bring the cost down considerably.

I pay about £18 a month through Petplan and I can't recommend it highly enough - i'd had Joe for about a year when i finally got round to insuring him and within his first month he ate a brush and developed complications all of which cost close to £2,000, i don't even want to think what would have happened if he wasn't insured because we just don't have that sort of money going spare. As soon as we got Jess I added her straight on, i'd never ever have an uninsured bun (although i understand those who have large numbers or poorly buns may not be able to)

Petplan were great with paying out too, i did claim direct through my vets so just had to sign a claim form and they did all the rest.

I know £20 quid or so a month may seem a lot but it really is worth it - it's not cheap when a rabbit gets ill.

Well it would appear that Petplan and Exotic Direct are partnered anyway, just went onto petplan to see how much their exotic bird cover would be and got this message:

Thank you for your interest in exotic pet insurance from Petplan. We believe insurance is an important consideration for owners of exotic pets and are delighted to introduce you to our partner, Exotic Direct.

So I would assume their T&C's will be similar - however, I've printed both sets out and will have a read through to see if there are any huge differences.

I'll report back! lol

Well it would appear that Petplan and Exotic Direct are partnered anyway, just went onto petplan to see how much their exotic bird cover would be and got this message:

Thank you for your interest in exotic pet insurance from Petplan. We believe insurance is an important consideration for owners of exotic pets and are delighted to introduce you to our partner, Exotic Direct.

So I would assume their T&C's will be similar - however, I've printed both sets out and will have a read through to see if there are any huge differences.

I'll report back! lol

:shock: Interesting...do keep us informed! :)

Ive just gone with petplan

when princess first got hormonal-silly billy me got upset thinking she was poorly and after discussing her with several vets, were told she had bad back teeth which would cost £20 consultation-£150 anastethic (sp) and then the costs of dental work, then medicines-now Im a sahm and dont have that sort of money, so we tried the PDSA I couldnt get through and also we dont have one near us so would have been a pain to get there

luckily after spotting her pulling her fur out I rung the vet and we got a free nurse check-not for RAW they do free nurse checks all the time, and found she was well

anyway back to topic, it worked out better for me to insure, she costs me just over £10 a mth, first mth free from a leaflet, then second mth free for signing up :)

Im not covered for basic dental, but was told for anything there put to sleep for Id be covered

Im just uncovered for skin problems as she had mange in sept, but as soon as sept comes round Ive to ask for that adding back on

Right well after a quick read-through of the T&C's basically they're not covered for anything routine (dental, vacs, neutering etc) but are covered for diseases (as long as they've had their vacs), dental that a vet confirms is affecting their health (as long as they've had a dental check in the last 12 months), illness and injury (as long as it wasn't by another pet that you own).

They're both pretty much the same and although there are 'exceptions' it seems to cover most emergencies and illnesses.

So, my next question in my quest to find out about all things rabbit, is ..... apart from mixy and VHD, what are the most common illnesses/diseases that a rabbit can get ill from??

A friend of mine has a bunny and she puts whatever she would have paid per month on insurance into a savings account for her bun so if she has any vets bills, it comes out of that. Only problem is, getting a good stash put away in case something comes up in the early days of bunny ownership.

We don't have a lot of spare cash and we don't have any credit cards so paying for something very costly would be a massive struggle, which is why I was thinking about pet insurance, at least I'd be able to sleep at night knowing if there was an emergency, money wouldn't even be a consideration.

Having said that, do you have to pay up front first and then claim back on the insurance or do the vets usually claim direct from the insurance company??

Back