• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Allergies.

skippersmom

Warren Scout
i cant stop sneezing!
my mom says i should find a new home for my bunny, but obviously i refuse. are any of you allergic to your bunnies? i googled how to live with allergies and stuff but i thought i'd ask here to see what you guys think

i absolutely will not give my bunny away.

yep take antihistimines. Is it the bunny or the hay? Either way, I think there's lots of us on here that have a bunny/hay allergy. I think you can get eyedrops, nasal spray, tablets etc that will all ease the symptoms.

i am very allergic, and i run bunny boarding, so you will be fine! :)

Take antihistamines, and i personally recommend the allergy reliever from lloyds pharmacy, it goes up your nose for 3 minutes and uses red ligh therapy to close the histamines or or something, anyway, that works really well!

it is also most likely that you arent allergic to your bunny, you are allergic to hay. Try dust free hay, and see how that helps.

Yep I'm allergic.

The hay makes me sneeze, if I get scratched it swells up and if I get a hair in my mouth that goes to back of my throat I have a massive asthma attack:)

I had an allergy test done in hospital 2 years ago and I reacted badly to the rabbit one, but hey ho - not letting my boy go:D

I don't take my tabs either but I have found that sneezing part of allergy is not as bad as it use to be.

When we first got our house rabbits a couple of years ago I was mildy allergic and my OH was much worse, sneezing a lot. However in the last 6 months we have both noticed that we are no longer allergic to them, which is quite a relief!

We are wondering if exposure can fix the immune systems overreaction? I know that's what they say that works with nut allergies but that is a lot more scientific where a tiny amount of the nut is given to the sufferer.

When we first got our house rabbits a couple of years ago I was mildy allergic and my OH was much worse, sneezing a lot. However in the last 6 months we have both noticed that we are no longer allergic to them, which is quite a relief!

We are wondering if exposure can fix the immune systems overreaction? I know that's what they say that works with nut allergies but that is a lot more scientific where a tiny amount of the nut is given to the sufferer.

I think exposure does de-sensitise it too some extent:D

I think exposure does de-sensitise it too some extent:D

I had some allergy tests done recently and I was allergic to all animals tested except rabbits so I agree with this. I used to react to my bunnies so definately the longer I have had them the better it has got.

Yes, I am allergic to my bunnies. I am asthmatic and as long as I take my beclametazone spray I am ok! I found that an air purifier was of great help too!

Vera

oh good! im glad to see so many other allergy sufferers!

i was reading that exposure is the best trick, and that eventually it will become more mild.

i just hate that i cant have nighttime cuddles anymore without sneezing and scaring him off me haha.

oh good! im glad to see so many other allergy sufferers!

i was reading that exposure is the best trick, and that eventually it will become more mild.

i just hate that i cant have nighttime cuddles anymore without sneezing and scaring him off me haha.

Hopefully you will in time :D

I think I'm allergic to one of my animals or something about their bedding (no idea which one) but I live with it :lol:
I just have a perminant stuffy nose and taking antihistimines helps... But it's a faff on so I don't bother

Back