• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what should i do?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, i am going to explain my situation and i know people are going to give their opinions and thats what i want, but just try not to be judgemental, as there is only so much i can do.

My bunnies have been a trio since peanut died and they have been fine. recently, Jelly has been chasing Pebbles alot. She never hurts her, and she never injures her but Pebs is often on her own. giving her a cuddle today i have noticed she actually has alot of fur missing where Jelly is constantly plucking it out.

No injuries though, just missing fur. The frustrating thing is, yesterday they were snuggled up together and grooming each other. and every morning all three are together.

I have noticed, it is when Pebbles wants affection from either domino or jelly, that these scraps happen. If pebbles doesnt "****** off" to put it bluntly, jelly pulls her fur and chases her to the point they are running so quickly and knocking all their toys over etc etc then pebbles goes and hides all sad.

I have a few options:

A. leave it, they are fine together most of the time, and pebbles isnt ever hurt, and Jelly loves her most of the time.

B. Take one away. I dont want to do this. :(

C. Add another bunny to the mix to balance it out, when pebbles wants attention there will be another bunny. If this fails, i would seperate, and each would have a friend, so there is back up.

If i end up having to split, someone will have a shed and run, and someone will have a hutch and run. So ideally i would like a foursome to work.

Hetty and Lou, Jackie (boudicca)and Kris have seen my three together in good times, and im sure they will agree they always seem very happy. So its a difficult decision.

The problem with adding another means i will be very tight financiall until i finish uni in a years time. Its do able, but only just.

any thoughts?

As I was saying this is exactly the situation I had when mine were a trio, Poppy would chase Sweetpea loads, and had lumps of fur missing, but wasn't really too stressed by it, and I would often find them snuggling up together.

After adding Dinky things are much better, Sweetpea and Dinky tend to stick together as do Poppy and Gus. Poppy will still chase Sweetpea but she just runs and snuggles with Dinky and Poppy gets bored :lol:

So adding a 4th may help...however it isn't a guarantee as you can't tell which buns will get on best, don't think it would really hurt though.

Equally having been in the situation I don't think it would be bad to leave things as they are

It's hard to say. :( Do you think spring fever is making it worse at the moment? In which case, you could leave them as they are until it settles down and hopefully things get back to normal.

I've noticed that Bubbles has a bald patch from all the humping, but they're usually so loved up that I just can't wait for the hormones to subside.

thats what i think would happen, jelly would still chase her away but not to the point where theres fur flying and pebbles is hiding.

I just feel sorry for pebbled shes so little and dainty, and at the moment she is in the hay box lying down and she looks SO sad.and jelly and domino are outside. But if she tries to go outside, jelly chases her back in.

I think spring fever is making it worse, but i just feel so guilty.

If you did want to try bonding George in I could come help and it would be easy for me to take him back if it didn't work so no obligations?

It's difficult to say SJ :?
I have a group of 4, the exact same thing has happened with Ghostie picking on Benji.
The thing is.... I would say no, because I have 4 and it STILL happens, but... as I've said, Pickle adores Benji and takes him under his wing and really looks after him, so I know he's content as he's getting affection.
Plus, the bullying was due to Spring Fever and it has calmed down a lot.
Has your Mum given you the go-ahead for a fourth?

I'm going to talk to my mum about it. I know now isnt the right time to be bothering her with bunny stuff with everything thats going on. But it is important.

I assume i have enough space for four?

I think mums biggest worry is it wont fix anything, and then its another commitment with no benefit for my existing bunnies. but if i tell her what youve said then maybe she will be a bit more willing.

Have you tried "rebonding" for abit i.e. putting them all somewhere boring and neutral so they dont have anything to be possessive over and nothing to do but snuggle?

Adding a 4th might give Pebbles someone else to snuggle with, but Jelly might be posessive over the 4th too, or they might not get along, or she may just keep chasing and the 4th one gets scared too.

If they're not hurting each other i'd leave them for a bit to see if spring fever settles them down. You could try a 4th but i'd be tempted to split them into pairs, or at least be prepared to.

It's difficult to say SJ :?
I have a group of 4, the exact same thing has happened with Ghostie picking on Benji.
The thing is.... I would say no, because I have 4 and it STILL happens, but... as I've said, Pickle adores Benji and takes him under his wing and really looks after him, so I know he's content as he's getting affection.
Plus, the bullying was due to Spring Fever and it has calmed down a lot.
Has your Mum given you the go-ahead for a fourth?

no but i dont want to ask her seriously (as in not in a jokey way like before lol). if you guys think it wouldnt work anyway if that makes sense.

i dont really know bunnies especially group dynamics but if there is bullying i dont think adding another bunny would balance this, Jelly has never been a fan of pebbles so i personally would go back to two pairs. Jelly being the one to find another bloke who suits her. and pebbles getting her domino back :love::love:

Have you tried "rebonding" for abit i.e. putting them all somewhere boring and neutral so they dont have anything to be possessive over and nothing to do but snuggle?

Adding a 4th might give Pebbles someone else to snuggle with, but Jelly might be posessive over the 4th too, or they might not get along, or she may just keep chasing and the 4th one gets scared too.

If they're not hurting each other i'd leave them for a bit to see if spring fever settles them down. You could try a 4th but i'd be tempted to split them into pairs, or at least be prepared to.

No i havent but they are going to Hettys tonight for a few days as mum is taking me back to uni an staying for a few days, and they will have a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch. Which isnt massive for three by any means, but no boarders round here had a shed, so it was that or nothing.

And in my head i was thinking maybe a change of scenary and a smaller enviroment could help them?

This is what Sarah Jane is doing today.
The trio are coming to mine for a little holiday!

i dont really know bunnies especially group dynamics but if there is bullying i dont think adding another bunny would balance this, Jelly has never been a fan of pebbles so i personally would go back to two pairs. Jelly being the one to find another bloke who suits her. and pebbles getting her domino back :love::love:

see this is the funny thing. When they were a four before PEANUT bullied pebbled and jelly loved her. But then , is that saying that no matter who is boss, pebbles is always going to be bottom... so its irrelevant how many bunnies i have?

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh *spins round in circles*

This is what Sarah Jane is doing today.
The trio are coming to mine for a little holiday!

I dont want to worry you and you think they will fight, theyve never had a fight so dont panic! but i think being at yours may really help them.

Poor pebbles, who wants to live with the mother in law hey?:lol:

It is hard to know really a 4th might fix things, might not, did with mine but I can't say that would help with yours.

Maybe wait and see how the are at Hetty's?

It is hard to know really a 4th might fix things, might not, did with mine but I can't say that would help with yours.

Maybe wait and see how the are at Hetty's?

I think i will. neutral terratory in a smaller space might help. If things are still bad when they get back, ill make a propr decision then.

Am also going to chat to the vet about it tonight, and see what pebbles weighs. if she weighs the same then shes not getting left out with regards to food, which is an important thing.

Shes being quite funny at the moment, she got in their bag of stuff to take to hettys:love:

my 3 have only been bonded for about 3 weeks and were getting along fine. Yesterday they started chasing each other after getting back from the vets, so i put them in the lounge in a dog crate with jusst a pile of hay. They instantly settled down and spent the night grooming each other and snuggled up with no signs of chasing at all. Think they just needed to snap out of it! But Spring Fever probably isnt helping either! :roll:

Its a difficult one! They definately look fine whenever Ive been there. I think there's always the risk if the bond isnt as strong with one of them that it can be easily broken and deteriorate. Matilda&Twinks buns used to be in a threesome Matilda, Twinkle and Co-Co. Matilda was always the bossiest but now her and Twinkle are arch enemies (to the death if they had the chance) and they had to be separated and Truffle was found for Twinkle. It is definately not ideal having the 2 pairs over the single group but Id be inclined to do whatever made my buns happiest. I know your mum is excellent with the buns but would she be able to pick up on Pebbles feelings if you know what I mean :lol:?! It will be difficult for you to see how the dynamics are working while your away at Uni and whether Pebbles is getting more miserable?!

Good luck at Hetty's :wave:. I know you will make the right decision coz you know your bunnies so well and are realistic about what is feasible. I think it's worth a serious chat with your mum though as she (as far as I can tell from reading your posts etc) has a very similar approach to you. I'm sure she will be able to help.

Back