• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and stings

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Specifically bee and wasp stings.

Are these a danger to rabbits? We keep getting wasps getting in the house somehow and I wondered if they are an issue for rabbits or if they will ignore them. Also noticed a few times bees getting in the runs as well although they manage to find their way out pretty easily.

Well touch wood I have never experienced a problem with them around the rabbits, theres quite a few in my garden at the moment and they don't seem to be going near the rabbits at all. Just my head!!!

I'm more concerned about the cats catching them :lol::lol:

Stings have been known to cause anaphylaxis in rabbits I believe prompting emergency treatment with oxygen and anti-histamines/steroids.

I would try to keep wasps and bees away from buns as far as humanly possible, but not to get too paranoid about it. Accidents happen and not all buns will have a severe reaction, It will probably depend on where the sting is as well. If it is on the face I would seek prompt vet attention.

I lost Miley to anaphylactic shock from a wasp sting :cry: Very upsetting so i try keep them away but its not always possible with outdoor buns

Back