• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue re-home to me ?

I know it sounds a strange question as I've been on here for years and I have done homechecks for other people...
I am on a waiting list for a new partner for Snowflake after losing Isaac (from the same rescue) 3 weeks ago. The thing is where I got Isaac from I never got a homecheck because she knew Snowflake so well as she had her for holidays and so she knew I would look after Isaac.
The thing is I see everyone asks for at least a 6ft hutch.
The thing is mine isn't :? It's a ryedale one, A double 5ft X 2ft X 2ft one (so 2 levels).... with a run making it a 5X5ft run space.
Snowflake's a small mini lop and Isaac was a heinz 57 but smaller than her and they both had so much space.
The only thing is the bunnies weren't in their hutch/run much - They were only in there while I was at work form 7am-4pm.... The rest of the time they are free range... they have the house and the quite large garden (obviously supervised in the garden).
Although Snowflakes coping okay I would like to get her another man, especially as it's coming up to summer and would be nice to see 2 bumbling and binkying round the garden again.
I know I can just sit and wait for a man to come in to the rabbit ritz rescue but I might be waiting a while -
So I was just wondering if with what I said any rescue would rehome to me - or do you think they wouldn't ?
just an enquiry really. :D

Based on the accommodation I would consider it but I would want to see a bigger run if I am honest.

Obviously I would look at the whole picture and not just the accommodation though.

One of my biggest issues with rabbit ownership is the housing so I ask to see bigger spaces than some rescues do; I personally feel it's what the buns need.

Based on the accommodation I would consider it but I would want to see a bigger run if I am honest.
:) Don't worry I appreciate the honesty..... It's just I can't really justify spending another nearly 400 quid on new housing from ryedale....Although I could try and figure a way of getting a new run and attatching it I guess :?

:) Don't worry I appreciate the honesty..... It's just I can't really justify spending another nearly 400 quid on new housing from ryedale....Although I could try and figure a way of getting a new run and attatching it I guess :?

I think the size of the hutch wouldn't matter so much if you had a larger run? Do they have permanent access to it?

Thanks guys - for some reason I was thinking everyone would say a flat out no lol .....
i would rehome to that for small buns ...but only if hutch was 2ft high x 2ft deep .
yep it is.

I think the size of the hutch wouldn't matter so much if you had a larger run? Do they have permanent access to it?

Yes - although as I work in a school - They are free range during school holidays/weekends and after 4pm every day.

I say they ( cos I can't get used to saying she :cry:) I am looking at runs at the moment.... just trying to work out how to get one to attatch :? because with the ryedale runs they only have 3 sides so they can join up to the hutch which is what mine does . So I think I am looking at trying to find one that would be 5ft x6ft I guess. Couldn't really go much bigger than that otherwise I would have to cut out the side of the hutch and put a run that way - which I wont do as I can see me botching it up and ruining a VERY expensive hutch :roll: :lol: .... All in all it was just querying at the moment....
Cos I am still thinking about another one.... She was on her own for a year then with him for 4 years and on her own again now and dare I say not minding being back to the spoilt princess :?

And yep it would definately be a small bunny! - I would want one probably lionhead size ish.
Thankyou for the advice guys :wave: :D

I homecheck for RSPCA and would be happy with that for a small bun - good luck looking for a new husbun :D

You wouldn't really need to buy a new run, just add a few panels to make it bigger. You could add an extra several feet for around £20.00.

Our minimum hutch size is 6x2x2 with a minimum run 6x6 for two bunsters.

Have been looking everywhere - at every combination of things going including dog kennels / wendy houses sheds etc....
As most of you have said the run is to small - If I was to to get another run from re hutches - making the run space 5ftx7ft would that then be okay do you think ? I am just thinking with the space that my parents have allowed me, I dont really have much more option. Again bearing in mind they really wouldn't be in it except for me being at work during the day. Argggghhhhh so stressful even though I haven't yet found a hubby. Had a look on Arcs site though - always dangerous lol.

Most rescues require a run of at least 6ft x 4ft (24 square ft). Your run is 5ft x 5ft (25 square ft)...therefore I don't see the problem.

When I've done homechecks I would prefer to see 5ftx5ft fox-proof run, rather than a larger unsecure one.

If you extend your existing run it might make it less secure (unless you're a dab hand at DIY that is).

I had an RSPCA homecheck for Cloud a few weeks ago and the homechecker came to see all of my rabbits. Barley (Cloud's hubby-to-be) is in a 5 foot double hutch and didn't actually have a run at the time of the homecheck (I have several aviary panels which I bodge together to make a big run but the weather was only just starting to turn nice and the garden had turned into a swamp! Swamp + cashmere furred Barley = no! :lol:). I thought the homechecker would be like 'Uhhhh, no way...' but he was very understanding and could obviously see how swampy my garden had got and approved me to rehome Cloud. :) He also had a look at Thistle & Jess and Brian's shed set ups and he was really pleased with them. I think homecheckers must get a feel for whether people will look after their animals or not.

Barley now has his rickety run back as the garden has dried out and I have a new playhouse waiting to be built as a new home for him and Cloud.

Most rescues require a run of at least 6ft x 4ft (24 square ft). Your run is 5ft x 5ft (25 square ft)...
:oops: I never even thought like that I am so silly :roll: :lol: .... I wasn't going to diy it - I was going to spend 100 quid on a new ryedale run. lol

We would rehome to that :) Our rehoming policy is a 6x2x2 hutch or a double tier 5x2x2 hutch with access to a 6x4 run :)

Back