• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long until my bunnies love me....

Vixen

Young Bun
We have had Topsy and Turvey for about a week and a half. I love them to bits, they are gorgeous. And yet Turvey still vanishes under the play table and stamps his feet if we look at him in the wrong way and Topsy is still very nervous.

We are being as gentle as we can with them (although with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old this is proving a little tricky).

Is there anything else I can do to make them acclimatise a bit better?

If you have time just sit quietly and wait for them to come to you. let them sniff around you and get used to you. It takes times, but it's worth it:)

Totally agree with Blackberry & Co, you just need to give them some time and let them come to you :) carrots and food really help, like fenugreek crunchies and vegetables.

When we first got Crumpet he was terrified of us, and would just sit in his cage and not come out, but when he did we gave him LOADS of praise. One final tip, 'ignore' them, and just let them do what they want, maybe watch some TV and because bunnies are so curious, they'll start hopping over :love: Crumps is now the most affectionate little bun :love::love:

well done for getting two buns, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep - that's how it worked for me - bunnies just can't be rushed, they take a lot of patience (not something a 2yr old or 4 year old has in abundance!!!) I've had mine since August and I can still see them growing in confidence with me. I just let them come to me and feed by hand as much as possible, stroke while feeding if they will let you etc - you just have to wait for them!! Frustrating I know cause they're soooooo darn cute!!!!! You just wanna squish em and hug em and cuddle em!! :love:

I would do as always said - be patient :D
When I got my female rabbit she was already very much used to handling as the lady handled her and the others, so I plonked her on my bed and we bonded. She got confidance climbing all over me and often settles by me.

With my male rabbit, I let him have his own space (who I got first). He was much more of a nervy rabbit and still is to a degree (hates strangers!). Food is a major thing with him, and so when I fed them their pellets - he would only get a treat if he first put one paw on me and then two and then all 4. Now he loves a fuss and I can just stroke him randomly and he wont get startled. He is even climbing on the furniture now.

I would just sit and read a book in there with them. Have a bowl of food on your leg or something - where they will have to make contact with you. Get their confidance first and then start stroking them.

When I got mine, I let him out a lay on the floor. I read a book and just lay there. I let Bentley climb on my back and sniff my face, and soon he was accustomed.

Thank you, we do this most evenings already. They were begging for tortilla tonight so that is a bit of progress. Our poor cat is less than amused with being banished from the living room in the evenings but she can tough it out (she isn't a threat to the buns, more concerned that she frightens them). Topsy did lick me tonight so we must be getting there in some way or another!

With regards to the kids, we are upgrading the buns run soon so the girls won't be able to get into it without us there. Little sods are far too clever for their own good so I hope the new run will fox them gaining entry without permission!

I have been going through this with my new addition. To complicate things further she had a litter :shock: and this put our getting to know one another back a bit. I always take a treat (a bit of veg etc) every time I visit her and she is responding really well to this. I also have a bench in the run and I sit there and she comes and goes and and sniffs me. She has no problems with me checking her kits and handling them but she is just shy of me touching her but each day it gets a bit better. I rehomed her and where she came from she had no name or close contact with people so I kind of knew it would be like this ... I didn't expect the litter though!

Back