PDA

View Full Version : Blood in Snowys urine advice please

Mel D
20-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi, I have just noticed my rabbit doing a wee and there is blood in it, is this a concern or does anyone know what it could be?
Thanks

Bunny Buddy
20-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Could be a few things but the most obvious that springs to mind is a bladder infection or urinary tract infection. If it is this then Snowy will need antibiotics to help it clear up. I suspect that anything else it could be would also need vet treatment.

Have you noticed if Snowy strains to wee, as if it hurts to?

hurricanhoney
20-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Best to get bunny to the vets. Merlin had blood in his urine which was cystitis and he was a very poorly boy for about a week.

pooks
20-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Is the bunny male of female? How old? Neutered?

Mel D
21-04-2010, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=pooks;3719780]Is the bunny male of female? How old? Neutered?

Snowy is a male 1yr old dwarf lop and he has been neutered.

I phoned the vet this morning and she said it was probably what I fed him on yesterday he had 2 small carrots, 2 dandelion heads as well as the leaves a little apple.

But I have fed this to him before and haven't noticed any blood so I will have to keep an eye on him.

Amy104
21-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Are you sure its blood? Blood is actually quite hard to distinguish without testing the urine. If he had carrots and dandelions yesterday it is likely that the colour change is down to the pigments in the veggies, its quite common.