• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could really do with some advice/suggestions!

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
I could really do with some advice , i'm at the end of my tether. Peanut and Daphne have been together for about 9 months now they were quite easy to bond I believe (minimack bonded them for me) the main problem was that they seemed to fight when other rabbits were around at michelles. Since they have been home with me they have been loved up most of the time , but for the last few months they have been fighting on and off to the stage where Peanut is terrified to go near Daphne after the fight each time I have split them and let them have half the shed each , but they then constantly groom each other through the bars so I put them together again and they act all loved up for a while then all hell breaks loose again. Tonight it has all kicked off between them again and peanut was once again terrified of Daphne I have checked them and they are both fine no wounds etc so the shed had been split again. I know it is more than likely spring fever that is getting to them but how many more times can I put them through this?

I think Peanut would be quite happy to live apart from Daphne as he is a mummys boy and loves my attention but I don't think Daphne would be happy living side by side with Peanut as she loves snuggling and grooming him.

I really don;t know what to do for the best I feel like such a bad rabbit mum. All i want is for them both to be happy. :(

Once you have seperated them then you will have to start from scratch with trying to rebond them ie they need to be reintroduced on 100% neutral territory. Have you done this when you have seperated them before ?

I am assuming both Rabbits are neutered ?

:wave: Yep they are both neutered. I have done it on completeley neutral territory each time and increased the space over a period of days. I have also completely cleaned and moved everything around in the shed as well so neither of them are familiar with it.

No they always seem to eat happily together, tonight it kicked off before they had there veg. They have both had their myxi jabs last week and vet checked them over and all was ok.

i've put a teddy in with each of them and have just caught Peanut humping it , i'm wondering if he keeps trying to hump Daphne and she's get peed off with him.

Has this only started recently? If so it could be the Spring time thing. Despite being neutered, both my current and previous male have got a little amorous at this time of year - never caused a problem between the bonded pair but then that would depend on the individual rabbits involved and how much each bunny will tolerate!
Has anything changed with regards to environment and how much space they have? Again, I have found that moving home and change of environment can cause an upset between the bunnies and this can lead to humping as a way of displaying dominance.
Thirdly, I have also found that feed times can cause an upset in the bunny balance. Food can also result in a display of dominance behaviour (often displayed as humping/mounting) as one rabbit is telling the other one that he/she is in charge and will get first dibs on the food! I was told by a rabbit behaviourist that even bunnies who adore each other should be fed seperately. Granted, you dont need to feed hay seperately as that is fed in such great quantities that it shouldn't create a problem, but veg and pellets and any other treat should be provided in seperate bowls/piles at opposite ends of the hutch/run/pen to allow each bunny to relax and eat.

I would suspect that something is sparking the problems, things don't usually 'happen' but more often things happen that we dont notice.
I can recommend a rabbit behaviourist to you if you wish. She is very good and only charges £20.

I just noticed you said it all kicked off before veg - do you give them veg at the same time each evening?

Back