• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pewwwwww!! Advice on smells in house....

mangobiscuit

Young Bun
Hi Guys,

I have a male and a female bun living in my flat. they are both neutered and bonded and have a NIC cube set up in the sitting room but are only confined to this during the night.

They have two litter trays, one rectangular large cat one and a corner triangular high sided one which I line with kitchen roll and then cover with hay.

So...I am an animal lover and have horses so am not adverse to a little animal smell now and then but it seems that my flat has turned into a rabbit cage.... The hay gets EVERYWHERE...I can smell the litters (or the wee rather) even though they are removed and wiped etc at least once a day. Dom still seems to drop poos about the place during the day (particularly in the hallway and has now taken to weeing outside my bedroom door!!)

I love them to bits and don't want to sound like a moaning old so and so but can anyone offer an advice on changing management or products to ease up on the mess and smell?? Ie can they have hay cubes? Is there a good litter to use that will help with the wee smell??

Thanks oh wise ones....think I'm just having a spring clean rant!! (getting to the point where I'm not inviting people round aymore because the buns have taken over ;):wave:

Totally know where you're coming from. It's not the wee so much for us, it's the poops!

Bob can't eat veg but Olive has cabbage and herbs etc and I don't know how something so small and cute can be responsible for something so stinky! :lol:

We put a layer of Bed O'Linum (really good stuff) mixed with some rabbit litter deodorant granules, then a cake tray (Olive digs!) then another layer of litter to try and minimise the smell. I've also got a nice air freshener on the shelf above their cage. I'm at a loss of what else to do too.

It's not helped by the fact I have a nose like a bloodhound.

I use wood pellet cat litter and it helps absorb the wee smell.

Me too!! :wave: Very cheap from Wilko (buy the big one, its cost effective..) and I never smell rabbit pee any more unless one pees on the sofa :shock::evil: which doesnt happen very often ;)

Not much you can do about the hay but I use the base of an indoor cage to put the litter box and put hay on the bottom in there instead of a hay rack, provides them with a comfy bed and they eat loads of it, I change it every 2 days and add new handfuls of hay twice or sometimes more a day..... (they eat that much...and they are diddy buns)

Good luck :wave:

Wow thanks guys - I will certainly try the wood pellets litter stuff....that's my main bug bear I must say. Yukky rabbit wee is not attractive smell to greet guests with :p

I have a hay rack and a tupperware tub i put hay in but it seems to get dragged everywhere :shock: May try the base of cage idea and see what happens...:p

Any particular air fresheners which are recommended. I have a few of the reed diffuser thingys dotted around (in rabbit proof places!) but I wonder if it's worth having something closer to the source of the pong...:?:lol:

I would avoid air fresheners near pets.

You can sprinkle carpets and soft furnishings with bicarbonate of soda before vacuuming it's an odour neutralizer and its cheap!

When you change the litter I think you'll notice the smell issue improves greatly.

For indoor bunnies I'd recommend eco pet bed http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/HORSE-BEDDING/pid3562/cid358/ECOBED-CARDBOARD-BEDDING-22-KG.asp it doesn't get kicked around, is comfy for animals and seems to keep smells at bay pretty well , and lasts ages!

As for hay it is a pain, but a stiff broom is the best answer (between vacuuming). Also a mat in front of the cage/hay racks helps a little bit.

Thanks for that info kitschkitty :wave:

It's only the litters that smell.....Dom's wee (male) is sooooo stinky as soon as he's done one wee I can smell it lingering around. I'm hoping one of these litters that have been recommended will help keep the smell at bay a little better.

Once you've cleaned everything of the wee and you are using better litter, like the wood cat litter a few of us suggested... you wont need air freshoner.... seriously, mine dont smell at all, the only time I ever smell bunny pee is when I go to the rescue and help clean out.... then I am like "ooooh, thats what bunny pee smells like..."

Wow cooL!!! Is it very sad that the thought of my sitting room not smelling of rabbit wee is exciting:lol:

Thanks all of your for your advice - will update when I change the litter:D

Ditto to Megazorb - it's ace at stopping smells and is the best litter I've found. As for air fresheners, I've discovered house-guinea pigs can be slightly aromatic :shock::lol: - as you say, it's the poops rather than the wee as I change their toilet areas daily. I use a humidifier (bio-sphere or similar) into which you drop essential oils. As it's all just based on water and essential oils, I don't think it can do any harm to the piggies or else I wouldn't use it. I certainly wouldn't recommend the use of a plug-in type air freshener or the type the you spray as they're man made and contain all sorts of nasty chemicals.

Good luck with de-ponging :lol::lol:.

I also use wood pellet cat litter and i find it great, i never smell pee in Herbie & Inca's room....even the litter trays dont really smell!

I remembered another tip I read - after cleaning out a litter tray be sure it is fully dry before using it again otherwise you can get more bad smells!

that's great guys thanks for the tips.....I've ordered some new litter stuff to try and will make sure it's all dry before I re do litter once I've washed out....

Fingers crossed!! I walked in today and it pongs even more and I changed the litters this morning:cry::shock::oops:

x

Oh no! Can't think of anything else to suggest other than a de-humidifier such as a Bio-Sphere. This certainly works to keep the pong from the piggies to a minimum :lol:.

Back