• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage Q's

cloughie

Banned
Hi guys :wave:

I have just bought a 2nd hand indoor cage to use for bonding my buns (next month hopefully :))...am well chuffed as its a decent cage and only cost £10 :) I was just wondering how would I clean it to make it all nice, clean and neutral? I'm thinking a part bleach/water solution and some good old fashion scrubbing and a thorough rinse down afterwards?

Also what is the best flooring to have when bonding buns...I was thinking of putting in some lino and a layer of hay?

One more question...I want to see how they get along first before I splash out on buying new accomodation so if they bond I'll keep them in Pebs current set up (outdoor hutch and attached run). Obviously I will need to give his hutch a good old scrub...would I use the bleach/water solution again?...wouldn't that strip the wood of its wood treatment?

Ohhhhh I'm so excited :) :lol: Thank you :wave:

I would have thought a dilute bleach solution would be fine for disinfecting and then spray the whole thing with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to neutralise it and remove all traces of bleach. Leave it to dry and Bob's your Uncle. Neat vinegar will also remove any traces of dried on urine from the base of the cage - you might have to leave it on there for a while but the white chalky urine stains just slide off eventually. I use vinegar for cleaning litter trays (the value stuff - doesn't matter if it's white or brown).

Back