• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny with EC - questions

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
Hi

I just have a few questions about EC!!

When do I know the rabbit is no longer contagious, do the vets do a test for it or will she always have it?

Can she be bonded with a rabbit that has no history of EC or will she need to live on her own or should she be bonded with another rabbit that has had EC?

I'm so confused :oops::oops:

I don't think there is a test to show that they are contagious, it will only show if they have been exposed to the parasite, which she obviously has.

Opinion varies greatly re bonding bunnies with EC. I don't have a problem with bonding them as so many of our bunnies here have EC related symptoms anyway and it is so sad to keep a bunny alone when they crave company.

But I think if someone has one or two healthy buns that are EC negative they would probably be relucant to add an EC positive bun to their family

So do I have to assume she will always be contagious and can't do things like go outside on the grass with the other buns.

Could she be bonded with an EC negative bunny or do you think that would be unfair on the other rabbit.

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just trying to sort things out in my head :oops::oops:

You ought to call the vets Vicky, Kat is on today and im sure she'd be willing to give advice, especially as she helped bunny in the first place :love:

So do I have to assume she will always be contagious and can't do things like go outside on the grass with the other buns.

Could she be bonded with an EC negative bunny or do you think that would be unfair on the other rabbit.

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just trying to sort things out in my head :oops::oops:

I don't think anyone knows the answers yet, there is still so much unknown.

With the EC negative bunnies you would need to know they are definately EC negative, bearing in mind that around 60% of HEALTHY bunnies are EC carriers. If they are 100% EC free then I would be reluctant to add an EC bunny.

She will only be "contagious" when she is shedding the spores but I don't think there is any way of knowing when this is happening :?

In theory she should be able to infect other bunnies who share her grass run but an RWF funded research paper a few years ago found that non ec bunnies were no more likely to get EC from sharing a grass run with an EC bunny than those that didn't. Like I say it is still a little confusing at the moment, but more research is being done :)

Once your EC bunny stops showing signs of EC after having been given the right medicine - then I'm sure the vet would say the rabbit is okay as long as you treat the new rabbit with panacur or lapizole.

My Darcy had EC and it took about 3 months for him to recover. I had to treat him with Lapizole (or Panacur is also used) and my 3 other healthy rabbits for a month to keep them safe from catching it. I'd say ask your vet for advice about it to be on the safe side though.

Back