• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did I do the right thing?

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
This is a rock and hard place post.

Percy unwanted rabbit came in one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chicken-Coop-...tZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item414ed4ee44. Now we were going to get rid of it as a home for a couple of small chickens. But a close-ish neighbour said they wanted as they were getting a couple of dwarf lops for their girls. :roll: And they had only a small hutch, (I knew what hutch that was a 3ft one they had Guinea Pigs in before moving them indoors). Now I gave them this 'hutch'. I have scubbed it, painted it and given them advice on geting two girls and if they get boys or girl/boy they need neutering. But I know this family they wouldn't neuter as routine. I've done hay advice, told them to buy it from me etc...

But I still feel its wrong to have a pair of buns in that but its better than just a 3ft hutch. Its just one of those :( things. I'll leave my door open for these buns, just in case.

I was in a similar situation recently, a "friend" has rabbits in small home made hutches and will not listen to advice at all...so I gave him a 4ftx2ft hutch I had, now although not ideal it is far better than what they were in so surely any improvement is better than none?

i think you have done the right thing. Its an improvement from what they currently have.

However, they should get the buns neutered... even if its two girls, two boys.
Because they will still fight... because of the hornmones? :?
The fights could turn nasty and ending in a bigger vet bill than two neuters would.

I know the feeling, its hard because you want to do the best by the buns but cant rescue every one :(
Its not ideal but pair of buns would be MUCH happier in that than a 3ft hutch. Well done for making their lives so much happier than they could have been :D
Oh just another thought, maybe you should mention to them that if they have an un-fixed pair, even if they're same sex, that they'll probably get hormonal and territorial and end up fighting? Id advise them to get both buns fixed anyway, no matter what the pairing, especially as theres kids involved and we all know how feisty a hormonal bun can be :wave:

Back