• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Herniated Bladder

ruthie

Warren Scout
Well, on saturday, I was putting Marble away from her run on the grass and decided she needed her nails clipped. Took her inside and sat down, when she promptly flushed her bladder all over me! She never wees on me! Her urine was very strange, too much calcium I thought, and my mum agreed, although no signs of blood. So appt at vets was booked for yesterday mornig.
When we got there, the vet had a good look at teeth and eyes then had a feel under her tummy, 2 minuted later she asked me "how long has she had this lump" I was like she hasn't got a lump!!!:shock:
I had a feel and under her tummy was a limp about the size of a squash ball, i started panicking, saying it wasn't there the day before, and it has grown really fast!!!
Vet took her to try and get a sample of lump and also urine. When she came back she had a syringe full of urine and said the lump she felt was her bladder!!!:shock:
So now she is in for her bladder to be put back, the vet thinks it has possibly come through her spey wound, but she is 5 yrs old and was speyed as a baby, so I'm not sure.
Also I'm worried about the GA with her being 5 yrs and just worried now, my poor baby:cry:

Well, on saturday, I was putting Marble away from her run on the grass and decided she needed her nails clipped. Took her inside and sat down, when she promptly flushed her bladder all over me! She never wees on me! Her urine was very strange, too much calcium I thought, and my mum agreed, although no signs of blood. So appt at vets was booked for yesterday mornig.
When we got there, the vet had a good look at teeth and eyes then had a feel under her tummy, 2 minuted later she asked me "how long has she had this lump" I was like she hasn't got a lump!!!:shock:
I had a feel and under her tummy was a limp about the size of a squash ball, i started panicking, saying it wasn't there the day before, and it has grown really fast!!!
Vet took her to try and get a sample of lump and also urine. When she came back she had a syringe full of urine and said the lump she felt was her bladder!!!:shock:
So now she is in for her bladder to be put back, the vet thinks it has possibly come through her spey wound, but she is 5 yrs old and was speyed as a baby, so I'm not sure.
Also I'm worried about the GA with her being 5 yrs and just worried now, my poor baby:cry:

Oh my goodness :cry:

Millions of vibes for her, please keep us updated xx

thanks Jane, her op is tomorrow, my usual vet is stuck in thailand, but Mum and the vet nurses assure me the locum is great so just got to keep calm. Will let you know tomorrow hopefully x

Dwarf rabbit with possible herniated bladder

What happened with your bunny? I have an 8 year old dwarf rabbit that appears to have a herniated bladder but the vets have never seen it in a rabbit before and are consulting some other vets before proceeding. What was the outcome of Marble's surgery? I brought my rabbit in with a bulge about the size of an egg on her belly and the syringe draw pulled urine. An X-ray then revealed what appears to be her entire bladder outside her abdominal wall. She was spayed at 6 months old and has never had any health issues until now. She still eats, drinks and plays normally. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks so much :)

What happened with your bunny? I have an 8 year old dwarf rabbit that appears to have a herniated bladder but the vets have never seen it in a rabbit before and are consulting some other vets before proceeding. What was the outcome of Marble's surgery? I brought my rabbit in with a bulge about the size of an egg on her belly and the syringe draw pulled urine. An X-ray then revealed what appears to be her entire bladder outside her abdominal wall. She was spayed at 6 months old and has never had any health issues until now. She still eats, drinks and plays normally. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks so much :)

As this thread is 2 years old you may not receive a reply from the OP, I dont think she visits this Forum any more. I have started another thread for you asking for any input from anyone with experience of having a Rabbit with a similar problem.

I hope that your Vet can help your Bunny

Herniated bladder

As this thread is 2 years old you may not receive a reply from the OP, I dont think she visits this Forum any more. I have started another thread for you asking for any input from anyone with experience of having a Rabbit with a similar problem.

I hope that your Vet can help your Bunny

Thank you, I'll look for that thread :)

Hi There, we had a rabbit with a herniated bladder but he was 11 years old so we opted not to go for surgery although our vet was willing to operate if we choose to go down that route. They did warn us the chances of survival would be slim but only because of his age which is why we chose not to. They also said that they could not be 100% certain how bad it was when they opened him up so even if he had been younger there would still have been a risk that they couldn't fix it once he was on the table.

Humphrey lived quite happily with it for around 2 or 3 months before he died of old age. It didn't seem to bother him at all.

So what I guess i am trying to say is, an operation is an option but there will always be risks that when they open them up it may not be reparable.

Wishing you lots of luck with your bunny x

Hi There, we had a rabbit with a herniated bladder but he was 11 years old so we opted not to go for surgery although our vet was willing to operate if we choose to go down that route. They did warn us the chances of survival would be slim but only because of his age which is why we chose not to. They also said that they could not be 100% certain how bad it was when they opened him up so even if he had been younger there would still have been a risk that they couldn't fix it once he was on the table.

Humphrey lived quite happily with it for around 2 or 3 months before he died of old age. It didn't seem to bother him at all.

So what I guess i am trying to say is, an operation is an option but there will always be risks that when they open them up it may not be reparable.

Wishing you lots of luck with your bunny x

Thanks for the reply. I'm supposed to call the vet this weekend so we can discuss what other vets said and what our options are. Since she is 8 it seems old, but also young to me. You wouldn't guess she is 8 as she is still peppy. I worry that if we leave it maybe more stuff will come through the abdominal wall?
I also have been told by my sister-in-law(who is a veterinarian mainly for dogs and cats) that there is a fine line for rabbits between being put under for surgery and being dead. I guess anesthesia is tricky in a rabbit. Both our bunnies were put under anesthesia obviously to be spayed and lived through it. I don't know what the healing time for an 8 year old versus a 6 month old rabbit is, though. All things to discuss with the vet, too. Although she isn't acting differently I feel the need to be much more careful with her, of course.
Maybe someone else with a similar situation will read this before we have to make any decisions.
Thanks so much :)

I think if she is in otherwise good health the GA shouldn't be a major issue. I think the main concern would be what they find once she is opened up. My vets concern was that the muscle walls would be too thin to repair or that they wouldn't hold after.the OP and it would reoccur. But again that May have been more of an issue because our bunny was older.

Herniated bladder surgery success

Hello to anyone interested in the outcome of my 8yr old rabbit's herniated bladder story...
I'm happy to report she is 10 days post operation and is doing 100% fine! She came come after staying one night at the vet clinic after surgery. She has a little cone on to prevent her from messing with the stitches. She had 4 days of pain meds once in the morning via syringe that was mouth-fed to her. She is still taking her liquid antibiotics 2x day. They must be delicious because she loves to drink them from the syringe. From the moment I picked her up from the vet she was giving kisses and acting normal. She came home and hops, eats, drinks and loves on us just as usual. You would have never known she had major surgery. At any rate I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else turns up with a rabbit that has a herniated bladder!
Vet said the abdominal wall opening was maybe 3/8 inch that her whole bladder worked its way through. Crazy. She never gave any indication of discomfort. I only discovered it when handling her and felt an egg sized lump on her lower tummy.
Thanks everyone :)
Happy to have my bunny put back together!

Back