• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

(Can't decide) - Should I adopt a bonded pair of Netherlands Dwarfs?

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether I should adopt a pair of bonded Netherland Dwarf rabbits. They are spayed females (are half-sisters and have been together since they were very young, so get along great with each other.) They are just over a year old, were originally purchased from a breeder when they were 8 weeks old and are fully litter trained, (both in the cage and in the house.) The owner says they have never show any aggression and are both very friendly. They are also used to wearing a leash/harness to be being taken outside when the weather is nice.

Click this link to see some pics of them (Hopefully it works, since I am new to this forum):

http://skydrive.live.com/play.aspx?...647!189&CID=-1013661336309578169&sa=494422189

I am just not sure about this breed. I want ones that are friendly, that I can pet, brush and maybe have sit next to me on the couch for a while. Is this a good breed? Do you have them? If so, what do you think of them?

Let me know what you think about this breed and if I should adopt them, or not. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated and if you have any further questions about the rabbits themselves, let me know.

Thanks,
pet_lover48

Why don't you meet the buns & take it from there?
It wil really come down to whether they seem like the right buns for you & you won't know that til you've met them :)
They look gorgeous by the way :love:
Others on the forum will be able to advise you on the breed specifics of Nethies.

it really is a question of personality rather than breed. like us each one is unique, some will be very independant, some are quiet and some are sociable.
i too would advise you to meet and spend some time with them and decid for your self if you think they are the right buns for you:)

I have 4 Nethies - one is a cuddle bunny, one is quite shy, one is bolshie, and one is hyperactive and cheeky! I love them all equally, but only two of the like to sit still - they all like bouncing about and being nosey best!!:lol: They're all from the same family, but have very different personalities.

They are soooo friendly and cheeky :love:

They are gorgeous :love: :love:

I agree it is about personality not breed, I have three nethies, one is a real cuddle bun, one doesn't come near us and the other is inbetween!!

Go meet them and see how you get on :)

Yeah, me and my sister had 2 nethie sisters when we were little. Mine was the laziest cuddle bun ever. Wherever I put her in the garden, she'd follow me until I sat down and then would come and sit on my knee. She wasn't interested in doing anything else :love: My sister's rabbit would tear around the garden digging stuff up and then would bite me when I went to go put her back in her hutch :lol: So I'd agree with the personality > breed thing.

They look beautiful in the photos though - I don't think I'd be able to resist them!

i agree with the others,
its all done to the personailty of the buns.
You should ask to meet them and see for yourself how they act and whether you would like to take them on :)

They look like real cuties! :love:

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions? What aboout Lion Heads too?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much for all the Great info.
I unfortunately decided to not adopt them, though. I think I'm going to either adopt a female, 7 month old Lionhead, or an older bonded pair - (one is a LopX and the other is a HototX.) One is around 5 years old, the other is about 4. They're rescues, so the actual age is unknown. They aren't too good with the litter box and take some time to get comfortable with you, without being scared.

I think I'll probably go with the Lionhead because she is litter trained and more friendly than the other 2, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think and which ones I should go with.

Also, what do you think about lionheads, as a breed. I understand that each individual rabbit is different, but what are their common characteristics? If you have a lionhead yourself, let me know what you think of him/her/them.

Any comment/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

Back