• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

an amazing EC recovery in photos

Squizz

Alpha Buck
One of my housebuns, Martha, came down with EC last August. She was so poorly we thought we'd lose her. She needed 3 steroid injections and a course of metacam, only then did she start to move around (very gingerly) this was about 2 weeks after she first became ill. Gradually, her walking improved and she started eating properly again. After a few months she was back to being able to jump up on the sofa and move around freely. She still has balance issues and falls over sideways. But it really has been a remarkable recovery, which I wanted to share to give hope to other owners whose poor bunnies get this nasty illness.

This is her after her first trip to the vet - she was completely paralysed in this position:
05082009215.jpg

her front legs were permanently crossed and her head at a funny angle

06082009217-1.jpg

my husband built her this tunnel so she could sit up and start to strengthen her legs
11082009228.jpg

This week we let her out in the garden for the first time since she got ill - she loved it, lots of binkies, which admittedly were landed very badly! but she was getting better at each attempt! Here she is in the garden:

058.jpg

050-1.jpg

:love::love:

That's amazing and should give lots of hope to other owners whose buns are suffering from it.

She's a true fighter :love:

That's amazing and should give lots of hope to other owners whose buns are suffering from it.

She's a true fighter :love:

I hope it does give hope - it's such a scary thing, and when they're that ill, it's hard to imagine how they will ever get better, I am just so happy she did :D

aw, those pics alone just made me genuinley happy! its great!

Well done for being strong and getting her back on her feet!

Thats really great.
I know first hand what it's like as i have had two buns go through EC and come out the other side when it did look like all hope was lost at times!!

Congratulations on having the confidence to stand by your bunny and give her the time she needed to recover.
I was in a similar situation once, and it's scary how many people thought I should 'end her suffering', after only a few hours. I should add I'm not anti-euthanasia but I felt she deserved a chance whilst she still showed a willingness to survive.

Great binky photos, they are so difficult to capture at the right moment :love:

How wonderful but then she sounds as if she has a wonderful caring home looking at the tunnel that your Husband made for her, she is also a very gorgeous and brave bunny :love::love::love:

What a heartening story :)
Love the purpose built trough for 'bunny physio'
So glad she has recovered to continue her obviously happy life.

Back