• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question on P@H pelleted food......rabbit going off SS?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
When we first got Earl he was on the silver and green bag of P@H combined food pellets (which look like a smaller, darker version of SS)

Naturally we weaned him off it onto SS so we could buy the same for all the bunnies.

He LOVED SS and has been on it for a year........

A week or two ago- he went off his food- vets and I put it down to STASIS- he wasnt eating much (no pellets at all) mainly hay and veg.....

Since this episode- he hardly touches his SS- maybe has 5 or 6 pellets a day....

..... but I tried him with a few of the P@H pellets left over from when we got him.......

He loved them - at first I thought it was because they are a lot smaller and he is a gummy bun- but he is scoffing them and turning down SS that I broke into the same size and shape........

What im wondering is- Is the P@H combined pellet as nutritious as SS. I would like to feed it him if its what he prefers- or I might try excel now that he has gone off SS.

Is there any reason I should feed the p@H one? would you?

Has anyone elses bun gone off SS? have they changed something?

Ive never been able to get my past 2 buns to eat SS. My previous bun wouldnt eat any pellet food Ive tried to give him though, fussy little monster. My buzzybee has excel which he eats some of, although if I give him the ones from the red bag (some kind of extra herbal something in them, I cant remember what) he scoffs it down. I dont know if they changed anything in SS, my guineas that used to eat mix (one of them is really fussy too :roll:) went off the mix I gave them and then I finally persuaded them to have pellets.

Does the P@H packet have the nutritional breakdown on there for a basic comparison? I assume if its similar levels to the SS and excel its probably ok, its fibre that normally lacks isnt it? and I assume as long as he eats plenty of hay its not a big issue?

PAH pellets are made by Burgess who make Excell

They are fine..if you have a gummy bun try Wagg Optimum pellets as they are smaller and we have no probs feeding them..they are also easy to get hold of and a good price:D

im about to complain to wagg as i found dog pellets in my buns pellets this week wasnt impressed :evil:

Just used the 'rabbit rehome' nutritional information comparison chart-

P@H was ok ish for fibre - but too high in protein........

So I have bought the 'Excel' (the new one not the supa rabbit?)

The fibre was higher in that than any I have seen........

Hoping for the best lol- if not it will mix well with the other buns SS for a bit of variety!

Earl is going to finish the rest of the P@H stuff whilst we wait for it to arrive.......

Has he had his teeth properly checked recently? Going off normally-loved pellets and instead wanting ones of a different consistency, and an episode of stasis would all suggest dental problems to me...

Jill is right though, Excel and PAH nuggets are the same (although the PAH ones seem to be on the 'old' excel recipe) - the '39% fibre' on excel is a bit disingenuous as it's really the 19% which is the consistent benchmark with other foods...SS is also 19%.

Has he had his teeth properly checked recently? Going off normally-loved pellets and instead wanting ones of a different consistency, and an episode of stasis would all suggest dental problems to me...

Jill is right though, Excel and PAH nuggets are the same (although the PAH ones seem to be on the 'old' excel recipe) - the '39% fibre' on excel is a bit disingenuous as it's really the 19% which is the consistent benchmark with other foods...SS is also 19%.

HE hasnt been checked under GA, am going to get that done now his health is back up to scratch- the vet wouldnt do it when he was in Stasis.........

Back