• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has blood on her foot :(

navat

Young Bun
I've just gone inside the rabbit run to go and see Muprhy and Olive and Olive started the thump her foot on the floor i noticed as she turned around that the foot she is thumbing on the floor has got wet blood (so fresh) on her foot. they do not have a wire floor their run is on concrete and their hutch is filled with sawdust.

i went to have a look inside the hutch and noticed that there is no blood on any of the sawdust, straw or hay. she looks a bit like a REX so it could be sore hocks but i think she is more an english spot. her feet are VERY hairy just like muprhys (hes a dwalf)... what should i do? is it irritating her if she is thumping her sore foot on the floor? she never normally does it...

A few weeks ago i did notice a LOT of blood in the cage, it had stuck a lot of straw together but i checked both rabbits over feet and all and nothing was to be found, what could this have been? both rabbits are nutered...

Thank you for reading :)

hey this could be wee the red kind dip a piece of tissue paper into the "blood" if the paper dreid red or orange then its due pigmentation and not blood if it dries a rusty brown it is blood. double check over the rabbits to find where the blood has come from if no visible cuts then it could be being passed with the wee and or faeces i woudl get a rabbit savvy vet to check.. (pigmentation in wee is casued by high protein foods not jsut carrots)

Hmm

Well when i put them to bed i decided to turn Olive over and look a her foot. She has sore hocks :( its only one.. and its very clean but its quite pink but on further inspection we didnt notice any of the skin being broken, so we dabbed a tea bag on the wound and i have decided to sort out her feet!!

the best method is prevention? So i have decided im going to turf the concrete run... which i have now done - im rubbish at posting photos so http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=204234&id=513428668&saved#!/photo.php?pid=5207690&id=513428668&fbid=414789453668

here is the finished product! i have noticed that the stained sawdust is drying a pinky colour so i will be looking at their diet. it seems only ever to only be come a couple of bits and i found 4 this morning so i think it may be building up a bit more but if a change of diet does not solve the pinky sawdust problem i will be taking her to the vets

i also hope this solves her hocks problem too!! any other ideas would be great :)

I'm also anticipating an e-mail from uni to see if i can take these guys with me, otherwise i may have to find them a new home :(

How long are her nails, is it possible one could have broken off causing it to bleed?

well her back ones are very blunt because they used to run on the concrete but her front ones were quite long but i have cut them now. i tend to snip them or check them once a month... but no none of them have broken...

i think i should really check murphy over too but he seems fine, plus hes a wriggler so i tend to keep man handling him to a min, but he loves his strokies..

still seems to be a bit of a mystry...

Back