• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery, Critical Care and Fibreplex

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone explain what is the difference between these three products and when should you use each of them? :wave:

Hi,

My understanding is Critical Care and Recovery are the same thing but are just made by different companies. CC is made by Oxbow and Recovery is made by Supreme Science. They are both a syringe-fed food to help in cases when an animal isn't eating/eating enough and/or is dehydrated. They contain the nutrients and fibre that a bun/Guinea Pig needs to survive whilst they're not eating due to illness, operation etc.
For instance, I've had to use CC a number of times when Bob has been unwell with stasis and when he had a bladder infection. When he's in pain he stops eating so he has to be syringe-fed in order to keep the gut moving. The more fibre you can get into a bun the better.

Fibreplex is a high fibre paste which has prebiotics in it. It helps keep the hind gut healthy and encourages gut activity. I've given this to Bob too on a occassion (when poops become small and I fear stasis) but I wouldn't treat it as a food replacement instead of CC or Recovery - more as an additional attempt to get the gut moving.

Hope that helps.

Naomi

Back