• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding males of differnet ages?

River

Warren Scout
Oz is under a year old. Or possibly just a year old. I got him in November. He was probably 4 - 6 months then. Realistically i don't know how old he is, but around a year. My girlfriend wants to get another rabbit, and she's found one that her heart is set on. She is mad over this little man. He is a lop, about a month and a half I'd say, maybe 2. He is incredibly cuddly, curious, sweet, docile, they have a bond and we havn't even brough him home. Normally she is the one to tell me that we can't rescue EVERY animal, but she and him just have this.. connection. So we're seriously concidering adopting him.

So we're wondering, I know the basics of bonding, introduce them slowly on neutral territory, fighting can happen, dont worry too much, introduce them gradually, don't panic if the bond breaks or never comes together.

So I'm wondering.. how do you guys feel about all this? We're not positive it's a male bunny, since he is so young. But I tried to take a look and I'm leaning toward male, not that I'm an expert.

But we're wondering, what are the chances that they could bond? Should we even risk it? Should we wait until after we get the younger one spayed or neutered? Any general thoughts.conciderations?

:wave: Definitely wait until the younger one is neutered or spayed then wait until all the hormones have subsided after that. Don't know if it's possible for you to be on plum watch ;) prior to that but my pretty boys had their plums removed as soon as they made an appearance and I think it really helps.

I know some people think you shouldn't bond unrelated males but Totti really, really loved Spike (now at the Bridge:() .. both males and Totts now has a new male friend in Bugsy. There are lots of examples on here where it does work. Both Totts and Bugsy had their plums removed as soon as they could as well.

How patient is your girlfriend :lol:

How patient is your girlfriend :lol:

Hahahah, yeah..we'll if our other roomate agrees, then we just might be getting the little guy, so I think she'll learn to be patient. Do you think it would be okay to keep both their cages in the living room? But let them run around at different times?

Last edited:
Hahahah, yeah..we'll if our other roomate agrees, then we just might be getting the little guy, so I think she'll learn to be patient. Do you think it would be okay to keep both their cages in the living room? But let them run around at different times?

I would hold of on any kind of meeting, albeit between bars, until both are neutered. Bloomin' hormones play havoc with them and they seem to have quite good memories.

Good luck and keep us posted.

So would you suggest keeping Oz in the living room as we do now, and Angel(Oh yes, she's already named him...) in our bedroom perhaps? Not letting them see eachother even through their cages until after Angel has been neutered? What about running around? Would it be okay to let Angel run around in the main part of the house, where Oz runs around, while Oz isn't able to see, or do you think that he'd figure it out by picking up Angels scent. Actually, I think I know the answer to that one.

So would you suggest keeping Oz in the living room as we do now, and Angel(Oh yes, she's already named him...) in our bedroom perhaps? Not letting them see eachother even through their cages until after Angel has been neutered? What about running around? Would it be okay to let Angel run around in the main part of the house, where Oz runs around, while Oz isn't able to see, or do you think that he'd figure it out by picking up Angels scent. Actually, I think I know the answer to that one.

:lol: I do that (answer my own question when I've put it to print). Bedroom sounds a good temporary home for Angel. Sounds like one of your main problems will be finding a totally nuetral space for bonding, seeing as Oz has the run of the house :wave:

Back