• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maisey and Mini Mouse

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
They still aren't eating :(:(

I don't know what to do with them as they don't seem to be improving at all :(

When they didn't eat the first day back from the vets we all put it down to yet another change of accommodation for them. But I have still only seen Maisey eat a few strands of greens and Mini Mouse some hay :? I am putting bowls and bowls of different foods in their cage but no interest at all.

they do seem quite happy and relaxed, but I am concerned about Maisey today as her stomach is gurgling loudly :(

I honestly beleive that Maisey's kidneys are failing. The vets thought her chin was permanently wet because of her dental problems, but I wasn't convinced. She is always drinking and her chin is dripping with water. Her chin and part of her chest are burnt from being wet for so long :(

I think I will have to syringe feed them today, but again Maisey's breathing really deteriorates even for her meds. And her tongue still goes a blue colour :(

I wish I knew the answer for these bunnies

Oh bless them. Are they used to eating different foods? If they came from a home where they were neglected it may be that they havent seen veg before and dont know what to do with it.

Wish I had something to help but I know anything I can suggest you will have already tried.

No they were only fed oats, they ate those fine at the vets but haven't touched them here so I am just trying anything out of desperation. I thought they might like porridge as it is oaty and easy to eat but they didn't even look at it :(

Maybe they just need some time to overcome the shock of moving and all these different foods?

Its a tough one because you want to find something they will eat but then you also dont want to bombard them with loads of new stuff and it scare them.

How about syringing something, and then only offering food that tastes similar to the mix so they understand that its for eating. For example syringe SS recovery and then only offer SS pellets.

Just thinking outloud really so might be a totally stupid suggestion!

I should think I'll get shouted at for suggesting this buuuuttt.... rich tea biscuits!

Mine will not refuse a biccy when they're unwell. Could you also try popping their food in a dark corner? They might still be very wary of all this new found space and they may feel better about eating if they feel enclosed.

Sending lots of vibes!

I am guessing you will have tried them with grass. Were they eating grass when they were outside yesterday?

Am sending vibes. These special bunnies deserve a chance at a happy life xx

I haven't given them much space yet as they were too stressed. They were in a 6 ft hutch when they first arrived but couldn't cope so are now inside in a 3ft cage and are much happier. At least this cage is clean and warm :) They have a small run in the garden which I shall gradually increase but TBH they don't really move much:(

Mini mouse did nibble some grass in the run but obviously Maisey can't. Maisey has nibbled some rocket and kale today. She seems to like anything thin and green but its not anywhere near enough to keep her alive :?

I haven't given them much space yet as they were too stressed. They were in a 6 ft hutch when they first arrived but couldn't cope so are now inside in a 3ft cage and are much happier. At least this cage is clean and warm :) They have a small run in the garden which I shall gradually increase but TBH they don't really move much:(

Mini mouse did nibble some grass in the run but obviously Maisey can't. Maisey has nibbled some rocket and kale today. She seems to like anything thin and green but its not anywhere near enough to keep her alive :?

Could you pull up some grass for Maisey to eat? Bungle loves grass in a bowl but he wont eat it from the floor! He is lazy!

Could you pull up some grass for Maisey to eat? Bungle loves grass in a bowl but he wont eat it from the floor! He is lazy!

We did pull a few strands for her yesterday but she prefered the dandelion leaf :lol:

But the problem is none of these little nibbles are enough to keep her going and her appertite isn't improving, the same for Mini Mouse :?

We did pull a few strands for her yesterday but she prefered the dandelion leaf :lol:

But the problem is none of these little nibbles are enough to keep her going and her appertite isn't improving, the same for Mini Mouse :?

Oh bless them. I dont know what else to suggest for them. I hope they start to improve soon. Does your vet have any other ideas?

Oh no.. :(

I cant get these piggies to eat or drink either, put it down to moving them again down here but its 2 days now.. starting on syringing now.. Poor things are terrified. Whats this woman done to them..

No they were only fed oats, they ate those fine at the vets but haven't touched them here so I am just trying anything out of desperation. I thought they might like porridge as it is oaty and easy to eat but they didn't even look at it :(

Whats oats are you trying Liz. I bought a box and they wouldn't eat it because it was too good quality and quite coarse. Have you tried a readibreak styled one. What about some really crappy rabbit museli?

I hope they start to pick up. They so deserve a chance. Thinking of youxxx

we have tried different oats including porridge oats. The vets managed to get the girls to eat oats from the pets shop, but they are refusing to eat them here. Merlin is now eating Rabbits royale mixed with oats :)

The only thing I have seen Mini mouse eat is hay and grass, but no where near enough. And Maisey will nibble at curley kale.

I have spent a fortune on different salad and spinach type packs from the supermarket today, but they haven't touched any of it. :(

After a couple of good days eating small amounts I am now struggling to get them to eat anything at all :(

Maisey's second peg tooth has made an appearence and it also growing out of her mouth at right angles in a sharp point :( They haven't made any sores in her mouth and she is booked in to have them looked at first thing Monday morning.

Mini Mouse's eye is now full of pus and looks really sore :(

I wish I knew what to do to help them, it is such a daily battle, but I am not going to give up on these bunnies :love:

You're doing an amazing job with these two buns by the sounds of things :)

I suppose you've tried some pain relief or metclopramide to stimulate an appetite?

Really hope both buns will be ok. Atleast they are safe and warm. :)

They are both on pain relief and antibiotics and had metaclopromide and everything else you can think of for a week at the vets :?

What did you say they were fed on where they came from?
Can they eat hard things at all or only soft cos of the dental issues.
My Wellie loved those dried cob rolls :oops: that you could get from pet shops, I just wondered whether you could dry out a bread roll in the oven for a few hours so it was all hard and see if they'd like that?
(sorry if thats a really poor idea and would do them more harm than good, its just what pooped in me little head!)
Sending tons of vibes for them, poor little souls. So glad they have you and Steve now x

strong scents

does strongly scented food help? I know it does with cats, so it was just a thought... And slightly warmed, maybe? Warmed grated sprouts with wet reddibrek stirred in? Dunno really - just thinking. Banana? Pear? Ours love pear as a treat.

:wave::wave::wave:

They were just fed oats before :(

Can't do hard food, Maisey has no proper front teeth, both have had lots of molars fall out during their dentals and they have root problems :(

Most things I am trying are mushy. They ate pureed banana before but now they wont touch it :?

:wave::wave::wave:

They were just fed oats before :(

Can't do hard food, Maisey has no proper front teeth, both have had lots of molars fall out during their dentals and they have root problems :(

Most things I am trying are mushy. They ate pureed banana before but now they wont touch it :?

Poor things. What about your bunny biscuits? Will that not even have those softened and mashed up? :shock: You have got quite a challenge on your hands! Why on earth do they not want to eat i wonder :?

Back