• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mrs Hedgehog...

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
Shes not scared of us really.... i hope thats normal :? but here she is tonight, shes even in the garden when the buns are out!

25454_388205318529_509993529_383788.jpg

Awww Mrs Tiggywinkle - are you feeding her some dog food? Or is she feasting on all the slugs - I love hedgehogs they are natures gift to the garden, she won't bother the buns at all and vice versa, just check them for fleas and ticks if they go where she has been ;)

We used to have a hedgehog living under our shed, when it was out at night the dogs were too scared to go in the garden :lol:

We used to have a hedgehog living under our shed, when it was out at night the dogs were too scared to go in the garden :lol:

i'm not surprised! they make more noise than my dad does at night...(and why is it that when men try to be quite they make more noise...?!)

No I havent, do you think i should feed her?

She won't say no lets put it that way, she may have babies and will appreciate a tin of dog food I reckon and a bowl of water. I would every other day, if your feeling really generous most of the garden centres, PAH sell hedgehog food - it's really expensive. You could always google what to mix for a nice tasty treat, I know the bread and milk that I put out as a child is actually not that good for them:roll::lol: The thought was there though:lol:

She won't say no lets put it that way, she may have babies and will appreciate a tin of dog food I reckon and a bowl of water. I would every other day, if your feeling really generous most of the garden centres, PAH sell hedgehog food - it's really expensive. You could always google what to mix for a nice tasty treat, I know the bread and milk that I put out as a child is actually not that good for them:roll::lol: The thought was there though:lol:

I dont want to encourage foxes in though, but if shes out there still now i only have cat food? Its 80% meat though!

Awwwhh! I wish I got hedgehogs in my garden. :love: I remember when I was little I found a hedgehog in our garden that wasn't very well. We put him in a box and the RSPCA colletced him. I think he got PTS because he'd been hit by a car. :( They have such pretty faces. We put food out after that. They're insectivores so we put out a little cat food and meal worms and the occasional egg if we had any spare.

Just found a google page about feeding hedgehogs :) http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

I dont want to encourage foxes in though, but if shes out there still now i only have cat food? Its 80% meat though!

Yes I see what you mean, you could maybe just put out a small amount in front of her and remove it when she has eaten some. The stuff I saw in PAH I think wouldn't attract foxes being dried. I would maybe offer her a tablespoon and stay with her while she eats it and then remove, a bowl of water in this weather is helpful aswell:)

Awwwhh! I wish I got hedgehogs in my garden. :love: I remember when I was little I found a hedgehog in our garden that wasn't very well. We put him in a box and the RSPCA colletced him. I think he got PTS because he'd been hit by a car. :( They have such pretty faces. We put food out after that. They're insectivores so we put out a little cat food and meal worms and the occasional egg if we had any spare.

Just found a google page about feeding hedgehogs :) http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

That site was really good :wave:

No, lol, Im from Canada, I've never heard of a wild one, just the little guys in the pet stores.

It looks cute!!

:shock: wow, that's so weird! Yes, they are rather common here in the UK :D and much bigger than the ones you get in the pet store... they would be pygmy hedgehogs I presume!

hope the little girl is okay Lara :love::love:

We get hedgehogs in our garden. When we first moved into our house we had squirrels so I bought a squirrel feeder with the intention of hanging it on the fence. I'd filled it with nuts but had left it on the ground. Then we discovered that the hedgehog was opening the lid and eating the nuts! So now I just keep it on the ground, filled with nuts for the hedgehog and they seem to love that - I've seen them bypass a plate of meat and/or biscuits and go straight to the nuts.

We also occasionally put cat biscuits out plus meat, but we get loads of other cats and foxes visiting so it's first come, first served with the meat and biscuits!

Back