• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why did Fay do this? Stress-Related?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Fay has got a bare patch under her chin about 3cm by 3cm. I panicked today because I thought it was completely bare and in my panic I thought I could see her throat muscles swelling or her windpipe sticking out or something :oops: It wasnt though, thankfully anything like that.

Got her to the vets, usual rabbit vet not on duty but he gave her a thorough check and couldnt find any reason why she would have it, and has just told me to keep an eye on it. It looks as though she'd pulled a whole patch out which has just started to grow back, a very small batch is still bare....

He found no evidence of mites and checked her teeth, all ok.

She is neutered. I think she had bald patches when she was rescued by the RSPCA as she had really been through the mill having been dumped with her babies. Could there be any kind of a connection?

What can have caused it? Is it just part of spring and moulting? :?

Last edited:
Awww do you mean her dewlap? Poor girlie, sounds to me like it could be a little bit of stress maybe - assuming it's not mites or something biological. Poor little thing, sounds like she needs some TLC, hope she is alright apart from that and it will grow back alright as she relaxes and feels safe.

It seems to be right at the top of her dewlap, right under her jaw line in the deepest part (and the most difficult for me to see properly).

I was wondering if its stress-related. Maybe she is picking up something from me? Because I have been really stressed lately as my husband has been in and out of hospital lately and has been in hospital all this week :(

Actually I will spare you the details but she did get very distressed on the night that my husband was very poorly in the bathroom, he was very loud and in a lot of pain...maybe that upset her?

Oh I am sorry about your hubby hope he is on the mend, they are incredibly intuitive and sensitive so it could be, I suppose all you can do if there is no soreness and mites etc is ruled out is keep an eye on it and maybe try to give a bit more TLC and reassurance to her. What happened to her kits?

I believe they were dumped in a box together in a field and were rescued by the RSPCA. Fay was in a right state and very thin as she had been feeding the babies. I assume they were all rescued and rehomed. She was also pregnant again with more babies but they had to be sadly terminated :cry::cry: as her little body couldnt cope with the stress. I think she was neutered at the same time. She is such a feisty independent girl, and very cheeky too, its hard to remember sometimes what she must have gone through before she came to us.

Will give her plenty of TLC - or as much as she allows!! :lol:

Just thinking more about the stress thing....do you think it is possible that Fay is having flashbacks in some way and remembering the hard time she probably went through about this time last year?

She really doesn't seem herself this week and actually seems almost nervous/scared which is very strange as she is normally such an independent strong character. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do to help relax her, have tried gentle strokes and talking soft and soothingly but she even seems quite nervous of me, which she has never been.

She may be just missing my husband, I dont know!

Any thoughts anyone?

Back