• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Advice. ...I have a bit of a dilemma about Teddy and Ruby

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Most of you will have seen the pictures of Teddy and Ruby in the garden....with the Roobster being a humpster!!:shock:

The humping has been going on for months now, and has never been a problem until now. :? Today Ted has been getting really annoyed with Ruby and her incessant humping.

She's SO close to 6 months, and I can't bear the thought of separating them now, as they're nearly there.......but if Ted is this annoyed I'm not sure I can let it go on.

What are your thoughts? Risk it for the last week or two, and see how it goes, or separate them today/tomorrow before they get more annoyed with each other?

(If I was to separate them now, then I thought I'd try Pixie with Ted, as I'd have to wait for a month or two for Ruby's hormones to go down.)

So RU....give me your thoughts! :D

Can you get her spayed now?

The vets was really adamant about 6 months (wouldn't do 5). I can't remember if I gave the full birth date. If not then she could be 6 months now, for all they know.;)

I'm going to call them on Monday. The best scenario would be her being spayed on Tuesday! :lol::lol:

ETA: but she'll still be hormonal, surely...and might still cause upset between them. :?

The vets was really adamant about 6 months (wouldn't do 5). I can't remember if I gave the full birth date. If not then she could be 6 months now, for all they know.;)

I'm going to call them on Monday. The best scenario would be her being spayed on Tuesday! :lol::lol:

ETA: but she'll still be hormonal, surely...and might still cause upset between them. :?

Jemima got spayed at 4 and three quarter months old :shock: Im really suprised they wont spay her now, that would put me off the vet

Definitely sounds like she's ready :shock: Poor Teddy :oops:

I know! I remember calling at 4 months...asking if it'd be possible to get her done at 5 months. ....I even said how GIANT she is...but they weren't happy with it. (Which I understand.)

She's been a humper for a long while, but as soon as Ted told her to go away she would potter off and do other bunny things. Today, I was watching them, and she just wouldn't leave him alone. He's so wonderful with her, and I don't want him to turn on her.

I'll call the vets...but just want RU's opinion!:)

Don't you need to seperate them until she has recovered from the spay? Im sure I read that somewhere, but Jemima was on her own so I didnt have to worry abou that.

We were desperate to get her done asap because she was spraying urine and circling/grunting, very much like a buck! This all stopped instantly the day of her op!!!

Just to add, she also tried to mount my leg bfore she was spayed!:shock:

Jemima got spayed at 4 and three quarter months old :shock: Im really suprised they wont spay her now, that would put me off the vet

Not at all. Talking to them I completely understand.

Firstly, she might be giant, but that doesn't mean her girly bits are fully formed. They want to give her body a chance to settle from her puberty, and the maturing of her ovaries/uterus.
5 months is still young, and whilst some vets are happy to do it at 5 months, some have a policy of not until 6 because that extra month could be a difference on her recovery.

Karen's vet, Jason, wouldn't do Bibi until she was 6 months, as he didn't think she was mature enough. (And he's wonderful with buns.)

She's such a good girl...no circling, no spraying, no honking. She's such a lovely girl....it's just the darned humping!:roll:

I agree , my vet won't spay early, he says between 5 and 6 months depending on size/behaviour, I think it is good your vet won't spay too early and understand why but think they need to be a little bit flexible in this case

Not at all. Talking to them I completely understand.

Firstly, she might be giant, but that doesn't mean her girly bits are fully formed. They want to give her body a chance to settle from her puberty, and the maturing of her ovaries/uterus.
5 months is still young, and whilst some vets are happy to do it at 5 months, some have a policy of not until 6 because that extra month could be a difference on her recovery

Karen's vet, Jason, wouldn't do Bibi until she was 6 months, as he didn't think she was mature enough. (And he's wonderful with buns.)

She's such a good girl...no circling, no spraying, no honking. She's such a lovely girl....it's just the darned humping!:roll:

I didnt know this! However, we told the vets her symptoms (spraying wee, circling, honking, attempted humping etc) and they said she sounded ready! She was only a week away from 5 months.

It would have put me off the vet because I would have had to clean up wee for another month!!! ;)

I agree , my vet won't spay early, he says between 5 and 6 months depending on size/behaviour, I think it is good your vet won't spay too early and understand why but think they need to be a little bit flexible in this case

:oops::oops: Last time I took Pixie to him he said that I obviously know what I'm doing :oops: and he'll listen to my views....so I'll explain my case.

Tomorrow I'm going to my dads for lunch (and to practice singing in the church:shock:). I'm sure they'll be fine......but I don't want any nipping to happen.

I didnt know this! However, we told the vets her symptoms (spraying wee, circling, honking, attempted humping etc) and they said she sounded ready! She was only a week away from 5 months.

It would have put me off the vet because I would have had to clean up wee for another month!!! ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

It's only what I gathered from what I've heard. :) Don't think it's a rule. Ted was 12/13 weeks!! :lol::lol:

My vet spayed my little girl when she was four months old. I'm sure that Ruby is ready to be spayed. :)

Why don't you say that you were bunny sitting an entire male and he somehow got out and you found him with Ruby? She could be preganant so you need an emergency spay ;)

I thought I heard that giants take longer to mature which is why I really think you should def wait til she is 6 months, can you just not keep pushing her off? Or maybe a wee squirt bottle to spray her when she mounts to 'cool her off' (negative association with humping - should discourage her?)

My vet said she could "feel" when a rabbit was ready - as in, she could feel the fully-developed womb etc.. and she did my Roobles at 5 months because she could feel that she was fully developed.

Is there any way the vet could feel it?

I have never neutered any of my young giants until 6mths old, it isn't anything to do with my vets it is just something I have always done.

I have never neutered any of my young giants until 6mths old, it isn't anything to do with my vets it is just something I have always done.

Turns out I'm a muppet!! :roll:

She was born on the 21st of September, so is in fact almost 7 months :oops::oops::oops:

How stupid am I?!

The soonest they can do is Thursday, so she's booked in now! :) She's been forgiving today, and I haven't seen her humping once!! :D

...can't believe my maths was THAT bad!! :oops: :roll:

Delilahbun is being done soon aswell, I've left it this late as she was so petite!

Good luck Ruby :love:
Oh and also, how are you doing the bonding after? Im dead worried about bonding my two again :lol:

Back