• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frustrated Bunnies Post Spay!

JenniHC

Young Bun
Hoping someone here has some advise regarding post spay bedding!

Both my buns had their spays on Thursday which went well, both weeing and pooping and eating as good (or better!) than they ever were.

BUT the problem is, they are destroying their bedding! They are usually wood shavings and hay bunnies, but at the moment are using tea towels which are being reguarly changed (2-3 times a day) to be softer on their wounds. But they are just ripping them all up and eating bits

I've tried newspaper which met the same fate.

I'm sure alot of it is frustration about being in their dog crate rather than in their hutch and run - to limit their movements until tomorrow when they got back, but I think they are so used to the shavings they really are not liking the towels and paper.

Does anyone have any advice!!!??

Maybe you could provide them with some things to occupy their minds like toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay, gnaw sticks etc?

They are on Metacam once a day, which has really helped I think, they are definately not sitting about feeling sorry for themselves.

Thanks for the suggestion, put a gnaw stick in and they are occupied for the moment! hopefully it will last as they are back in their hutch tomorrow (with towels down) - I don't want them to chew the towels and end up with blockages

Its good they are on Metacam because some of the things you were describing could be a reaction to pain, so its good that's not an option.

Have you tried fleece instead of towel? If they tear it it doesnt shred or go into strings or anything.

Connie (the bigger sister) is getting a 10kg dose of metacam daily and Tilly (the ickle one) is getting a 5kg worth dose... I really hope their not in pain!!

Ive given then a gnaw stick and they have eaten half and resumed the methodical demonlision of their cage :( poor buns, they must be so bored, but I want to make sure they heal rather than dashing around all over the place

Do you think it would be safe to give them a hanging hay treat ball for them to periscope up to eat veggies, or would that stretch the wound too much?

Also, I went with cheap tea towls (17p from Ikea!!) so they could be disposible... would you recommend reusing fleece?

Back