• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turned down to adopt rabbit

weedug

Mama Doe
:cry::cry: because I was going to keep it in a shed with run and not in the house.

Not ready yet anyway because my run isn't ready, but am wondering if I am wrong to keep rabbits outside again. Have had a few problems in the past, which is why hubby decided to convert the playhouse for me so they could be inside without being in the house.

What do others think?

Last edited by a moderator:
utter rubbish unless it was speciffically a house rabbit. Mind you we keep ours in the garage and its heated, most of the time its warmer in there then the house.

Lots of people keep rabbits outside :?
Are you sure the area was big enough?
Where were you trying to rescue a rabbit from?

you just went to the wrong rescue for what your offering hun.. theres plently of places that would love a shed with attached run as a bunny home.. best to wait till its all ready though before contacting anyone else so what they see at the homecheck is where the bunnies will be living :D

sorry your upset :(

Was it for a bun to live alone, in which case I agree, I wouldn't want a single bun living outside, but sounds like you have plenty of room for a pair

you just went to the wrong rescue for what your offering hun.. theres plently of places that would love a shed with attached run as a bunny home.. best to wait till its all ready though before contacting anyone else so what they see at the homecheck is where the bunnies will be living :D

sorry your upset :(

I agree :)

I would presume there was more to it than that, but what, obviously I don't know.

Possibly its not the time of year to be putting an indoor bunny outside, possibly the bunnies you wanted (if you had particular ones reserved) are not approrpiate to go outside for whatever reason, possibly its because of the cold harsh winters that we've had this year and they have decided not to rehome bunnies outside anymore, or something else completely different.

I would suggest trying somewhere else, and also trying to find out more about why they said that and asking questions (not in an accusatory way, just so that you can try and understand more so that you can give the bunny the best home possible- something along those lines would be good to say).

I home check for the RSPCA, obviously not anywhere near you (I'm in East Anglia, in England), but we rehome outside unless its a specific animal that can't go outside for whatever reason (such as ill health, long fur, unbondable bunny).

If I do a home check I would expect everything to be ready in place as if the rabbits are about to be moved in. If something like the run was not ready I would not be able to pass them until it was complete.

They would however be informed of this prior to me going out to do the homecheck.

Wow that was quick, thanks! They didn't do a home check, I phoned them and wouldn't accept me because I wasn't planning on keeping it/them in the house. I had heard that they may take this stance so just wanted to check, and had thought that it would be easier to alter my set up if need be as it was being made.
________
Glass Smoking Pipes

Last edited:
Ok, so it sounds like their policy as opposed to anything you did wrong. Did you ask why they only rehome bunnies indoors?

Yeah, I got the long lecture of how rabbits need to be kept indoors to bring their personality out and be looked after properly. I have 2 house rabbits just now so know what they're like, but I wasn't even asked if I had any rabbits just now.

Well I am all for rescues having whatever policies they like but that seems really harsh, it must really limit how many buns they rehome :?

Sounds like someone was who quite limited to be honest. I guess she will have her reasons for that though, but from where I stand, it sounds like their loss. You can find someone else who will happily adopt to you and that setuop, I'm sure :)

But do others think it is ok to keep them outside? I'm a bit nervous about going outside again.

Goodness I'm just trying to imagine a rescue with space to keep all their buns indoors whilst at the rescue! Cos' if they're outdoors at the rescue it seems a bit hypocritical to me!

I do know of a Certain American Guinea Pig Forum that firmly believes **all** animals should be kept inside and never housed outside but I'd never heard of a rescue with this policy! As said; I guess they probably have their reasons but I would say please don't let this put you off. I'm sure that there's a pair of rescue buns' out there who would be very lucky to have you as a bunny mummy. :wave: x

ETA: Oh yes - the vast majority of rescue rabbits I would say are rehomed to live outside. I know that's only me with my limited knowledge and experience but it does seem that it's only certain bunnies with specific needs that are specifically rehomed to be indoors - most are rehomed to be outside.

I haven't been there but I believe they do have them all inside, between the main shelter and fosterers. I can see their point, at least an indoor bun gets around the left at the bottom of the garden in a drafty hutch problem.

Does anyone think that outdoor buns have more health problems than indoor ones?

But do others think it is ok to keep them outside? I'm a bit nervous about going outside again.

We uite happily rehome outside :) I would think about 98% of our adoptions are for buns to be outside. I have some of mine outside too.

They can be fine outside :)

They are fine outside so long as they have somewhere safe, warm & dry to snuggle and plenty of space to exercise :D The playhouse sounds like a great idea! You should really have at least two though :) I'm sure there are other places near to you that would LOVE to have you give some of their buns a lovely home. If not, I know Jill @ Honeybunnies re-homes all over the UK and she has ooodles of buns waiting for forever homes :D

All my buns are outside buns, though one of them started as an indoor bun. As long as they've got big enough accomodation and they're not kept alone, outdoors is absolutely fine :D

Back