• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Dilema

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
A lot of the things we are encoutering as we run the sanctuary are completely new to us as we have never done anything on this scale before. We have no idea that it would ever grow this big and there doesn't seem to be a manual on how to do it :lol::lol:

We are now having to turn rabbits away on a regular basis and really prioritise the most needy, I hate turning anything away but to lookafter the bunnies properly both physically and financially there obviously has to be a limit.

We now have a sort of "waiting list", on it are 3 bunnies that are all in need of special care, but are safe in rescue/foster places so getting all the care they need.

We have also been approached about taking a number of bunnies from private individuals, where we know that the bunnies aren't getting the care they need :(

So this is the dilema, which ones do we take in, bearing in mind we only have spaces when one of ours goes to the bridge unless it is a real emergency situation where temporary accomodation is necessary.

Are the ones in rescue first in line as they have been waiting longest, and although they are getting the care they need they are also blocking rescues spaces long term and therefore preventing other bunnies getting help :?

Or should we prioritise the individual bunnies because who knows what will happen to these if they aren't given a space, but is this fair as we have already promised the next available spaces to other rabbits :?

We really don't know the answer to this so any views would be appreciated

It's a difficult decision for you, but I suppose it's best to prioritize any in danger first, then I guess it's up to you whether you go with a rescue case or individual one...perhaps matching a bunny with the space available? (i.e. indoors or outdoors, male or female, etc?)

It's a difficult decision for you, but I suppose it's best to prioritize any in danger first, then I guess it's up to you whether you go with a rescue case or individual one...perhaps matching a bunny with the space available? (i.e. indoors or outdoors, male or female, etc?)

Thats the problem, we do have spaces for specific bunnies to go with lonely partners, but none that we need to take in match what we need. Typical :lol:

I would priortise which one is the more needy of the special care. I have a waiting list but if something sounds urgent then I take that in straight away. It is a tough dilemma but I would say that all rescues feel exactly as you do as I know I do:?
Sorry I am not much help:)

I would priortise which one is the more needy of the special care. I have a waiting list but if something sounds urgent then I take that in straight away. It is a tough dilemma but I would say that all rescues feel exactly as you do as I know I do:?
Sorry I am not much help:)

I was hoping some rescues would reply as I knew you would be in a similar situation.

I guess the individual buns are always at more risk than the rescue buns given our Criteria, but if we always take these the rescue buns will always get pushed to the back of the queue and recently quite a few in rescues have died while waiting for a space here which makes us feel even worse :(

Thats the problem, we do have spaces for specific bunnies to go with lonely partners, but none that we need to take in match what we need. Typical :lol:

If any are just old rather than special needs, then advise the rescue or individual to advertise them on here...There are often people looking for elderly rabbits for their existing buns who have lost partners...and it can be really difficult finding a suitable match because they usually aren't advertised.

Wish I was closer to you Liz...Then I could let you use my house as an extention. I really don't know how to suggest you pick though, I guess those that are at the highest risk.

If any are just old rather than special needs, then advise the rescue or individual to advertise them on here...There are often people looking for elderly rabbits for their existing buns who have lost partners...and it can be really difficult finding a suitable match because they usually aren't advertised.

Normally they come via a second person who has already tried to help the owners, this is the case with the two who need spaces at the moment. they have been advertised else where already :(

Could you find someone to foster the ones that are not getting the correct care until you could take them and take in the ones which have been on the waiting list longer. I know it doesn't really answer your question. Personally I think it should be the ones who have been on the waiting list longer but if the other buns are not getting the proper care it would be a concern.

Could you find someone to foster the ones that are not getting the correct care until you could take them and take in the ones which have been on the waiting list longer. I know it doesn't really answer your question. Personally I think it should be the ones who have been on the waiting list longer but if the other buns are not getting the proper care it would be a concern.

This is something we have seriously considered but if we start using foster carers so we can take in more bunnies, where does the money come from to care from these bunnies? our vet bill is usually over £1000 a month now, every month, if that continues to increase we will be in even more debt than we are now.

This is something we have seriously considered but if we start using foster carers so we can take in more bunnies, where does the money come from to care from these bunnies? our vet bill is usually over £1000 a month now, every month, if that continues to increase we will be in even more debt than we are now.

I think a lot of foster carers pay for the day to day stuff themselves and sometimes even the vet fees. If I was fostering I would want to pay myself as I would feel awkward taking money from the rescue.

I think a lot of foster carers pay for the day to day stuff themselves and sometimes even the vet fees. If I was fostering I would want to pay myself as I would feel awkward taking money from the rescue.

Given that our bunnies are special needs the vet bills are bound to be high and I wouldn't expect anyone else to pay these. On average we spend around £300 on a bunny that lives with us for a few months, so if we have two or three foster carers you can see how it would mount up.

Also one or two people have offered in the past and when they have discovered the possible problems with the bunnies have pulled out :( Which is why so many of them have been waiting in rescues so long :(

i think you should look at the buns needs ..if it is in rescue and getting the care it needs it can wait ...if its in rescue but rescue has no experience in buns probs or simply cant cope with the bun then it should be a priority .

likewise with the privately owned buns . :)

sadly these are decisions we all face and the only advice I can give is prioritise the at risk ones..then concentrate on the ones you have ( we have 13 on the incoming list now..and that is much lower than it has been )

As vet bills are so high do not take on fosterers..as you have said yourself it then means more rabbits but also more bills..and co-ordinating foster buns can take up a lot of time

None of us can help all the animals that are out there and it's something we have to accept, setting a limit and sticking to it is very important for the animals and the people involved
It wasn't long ago you said you would not take in any more as you both needed a break..so don't push yourself too hard.
Carry on doing what you do, there are other sanctuaries that may help with the urgent cases

Poor you. When you want to help as many as possible, this must feel horrible.

Your first priority is to those you have in your care currently (as you know). So I would suggest first looking at the needs of those on your list, coupled with what you need (i.e. boys/girls to bond with, indoor, outdoor, highly active, low mobility, etc), then look to take in the ones that fit in with yours the most.

When you have none on the list that fit with what you want/need (as you've said these don't), then I would probably be looking at who needs you the most. That could be either a bunny in a rescue, or one privately.

If you look at who needs you the most that can be looked at in a lot of different ways, i.e. not getting the care it needs, being old and needing to get into a home, etc.

Your responsibility lies with the rabbits, and whilst its important to keep good relations with people, you do what you do for the buns, not for people.

Its hard, but you can't help them all, even with the best will in the world.

sadly these are decisions we all face and the only advice I can give is prioritise the at risk ones..then concentrate on the ones you have ( we have 13 on the incoming list now..and that is much lower than it has been )

As vet bills are so high do not take on fosterers..as you have said yourself it then means more rabbits but also more bills..and co-ordinating foster buns can take up a lot of time

None of us can help all the animals that are out there and it's something we have to accept, setting a limit and sticking to it is very important for the animals and the people involved
It wasn't long ago you said you would not take in any more as you both needed a break..so don't push yourself too hard.
Carry on doing what you do, there are other sanctuaries that may help with the urgent cases

I completely agree with this, I can imagine co-ordinating fosters is very time consuming. I have very little time to co-ordinate myself :lol: And as I previously mentioned there is no way we can fund that many extra rabbits.

It was Steve who said he wanted a break after we lost Moses, but he is worse than me when he sees a rabbit in need, it is me that says no to him now :roll: I am slightly more realistic and am aware we will never get a break. :lol:

I am just trying to work out in my head which ones are the highest priority when spaces do become available.

The ones in rescues are safe, but if the fosters think I am taking their bunny and have then offered their space to one on a waiting list and then I let them down because of a more urgent case, is that fair :? Some of these rabbits have already been waiting a month or two for us to have room :(

But if individual rabbits are elderly and haven't seen a vet, aren't getting the correct diet and are left in tiny hutches with no exercise. Then what do I do? Maisey and Mini Mouse are proof that these bunnies really do need urgent help :(:(

Liz you can only do your best..take the ones you think are most in need
Sadly if people don't like your decisions then they need to put themselves in your shoes

Back