• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm fed up with hay! *rant*

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I am so fed up of having to find decent hay. I'm just SO fed up of it! I find a decent place to buy and then they get in a bad batch, so we move somewhere else (generally circulating between about 3 places). I'm fed up of worrying about whether or not the hay is going to kill the rabbits because they ate something bad I didn't manage to get out or that I deemed a bale ok enough and I was wrong and its bad for them.

This most recent bale I doled out into litter trays last night (ready to be quick and swap all the litter trays today- I have two sets in rotation) and this morning, seeing it in the sunlight its covered in damp growing on the hay even though it doesn't smell awful. Can't give that to them, not at all. So I have to empty the litter trays and start all over again. So much for getting ready quickly this morning !!!!

I just hate it. I'd love to buy decent baled, green hay easily. Why can't rabbits just eat the crappy mix feed that you buy from tescos, nothing else, just crappy mix. Would be so much easier.

I'm fed up with hay!

I would be in a right 2 and 8 if the Farm I get my hay from stopped delivery here.

Thankfully the hay bales I buy are generally fine.

It would make life easier if Buns could stay healthy on a bowl of Muesli Mix !!

Tell me about it :roll:

My supplier has run out until the next cut, so I'm having to buy really nasty dry, dusty hay from somewhere else at £1 a bale more than my usual place!

Everywhere around here charges a fortune for delivery, and I only have a small car so have to go every 2-3 weeks for 4 bales at a time

It's a pain isnt it.

Like you I have moved from place to place seeking out decent hay.

At the moment we are getting to the dreg ends of last years cuts but of course it shouldn't be damp or mouldy - that's a sign of poor timing for the cut or bad storage.

The horsefeed store I mostly use have a bagged small bale called Haydown, it is barn dried (not strictly dust extracted just barn dried) its about £5.50 a bag. Worth a look as although its not particularly green the buns like it and it is of a more consistant quality without being as expensive as as Dust Free.

You could find a posh livery/racing/competion yard near you and ask who supplies them as they will undoubtably be finding the best for their pampered geegees!

I get really desperate over this. Thumps started sneezing regularly because the hay was so dusty over winter, even phemomenally expensive Oxbow, & then refused to eat it (thank goodness) He's on Burns green oats hay at the mo. It's nice & leafy in Southampton, but the stuff I order from here is just seed heads & straw.
He sounds a bit like your buns Sky_O he likes his hay green.
He's not fussy as humans are, he actually knows what's good for him.

Its such a pain isn't it. I feel for all of you!

I went and located some more. It smells decent and whilst not perfect, is definitely nom-able (not by me!). Its just very frustrating!

I was talking to my new supplier today, and they have nearly run out of hay as well :(

Amy :wave: Where do you get your bales from? I had some really good ones from Spring Farm Trowell then my parents were in Arnold so they picked one up from Martin's up Calverton and the buns weren't too keen. I went back to Spring Farm yesterday and got another one but they not too keen on this one either :? It's stalky and that's how they like it so maybe they are just being fussy.

Amy :wave: Where do you get your bales from? I had some really good ones from Spring Farm Trowell then my parents were in Arnold so they picked one up from Martin's up Calverton and the buns weren't too keen. I went back to Spring Farm yesterday and got another one but they not too keen on this one either :? It's stalky and that's how they like it so maybe they are just being fussy.

I'm going to Martin's at Calverton atm, and Spring Farm was going to be my next port of call when Calverton run out.

There's a farm shop at Mapperly do hay too, but I'm not really impressed with their hay either.

I'm going to Martin's at Calverton atm, and Spring Farm was going to be my next port of call when Calverton run out.

There's a farm shop at Mapperly do hay too, but I'm not really impressed with their hay either.

I found Martin's too grassy and the buns weren't interested, might just have got a grassy bale as I've had good hay from there before :? I think hay in general this year is poor. Spring farm have a few bales left but it's really hard and stalky though :? It's £3 there. But Their A&P is £9.36:shock: Is that the norm? I never check - just pay!

My excellent saddlery supplier of hay says that it is getting increasingly difficult to get good hay - he predicted over winter that it would be in short supply this summer as so much was used trying to keep animals going during the snow.

I just got 4 bales from him to last me 2 weeks - its £6 a bale but really nice.

:shock: epppppp i didnt think about the weather effecting the hay, i pay 7 pound but its really nice stuff, might somehow squeeze 2 bales upstairs in my flat bad enough with one :lol:

i've not heard of the 1 up mapperly i do no of one on spring lane but never been there as i no my neighbour got it from there for her guineapigs and they constantly got mites and were back and forth to the vets

I've had horses and/or rabbits for nearly 30 years and have never known a year when I haven't been told that the hay won't be good or won't be in short supply!

I am so fed up of having to find decent hay. I'm just SO fed up of it! I find a decent place to buy and then they get in a bad batch, so we move somewhere else (generally circulating between about 3 places). I'm fed up of worrying about whether or not the hay is going to kill the rabbits because they ate something bad I didn't manage to get out or that I deemed a bale ok enough and I was wrong and its bad for them.

This most recent bale I doled out into litter trays last night (ready to be quick and swap all the litter trays today- I have two sets in rotation) and this morning, seeing it in the sunlight its covered in damp growing on the hay even though it doesn't smell awful. Can't give that to them, not at all. So I have to empty the litter trays and start all over again. So much for getting ready quickly this morning !!!!

I just hate it. I'd love to buy decent baled, green hay easily. Why can't rabbits just eat the crappy mix feed that you buy from tescos, nothing else, just crappy mix. Would be so much easier.

I'm fed up with hay!

Where do you you tend to get your hay from?

A vairety of places on rotation. Rackhams in Wickham Market, the go-kart place in Bealings and Barnard Brothers on Woodbridge Road. I'm aware of some other places but not yet tried them.

I get through roughly 25kg of hay in 5-6 days so can't buy the poshy stuff or anything from pets at home in those quantities because I would be broke soooooooooooo quickly.

Hannah if you want some farm hay and have difficulty getting some we can get you a bale nearer the time when you come to bring the bunsters over if that helps.

Aw thanks! We're hoping to be dropping piggies and bunnies off on the way up to the Lakes' so won't have room - but thank you! :D xx

Back