• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i have a dillema advice asap please

briony_y

Young Bun
I am due to pick up my new rabbits from my friend today.

I have a dillema, I was going to get two girls but she has had them sexed this morning and there was only one girl and four boys!

I don't know what to do now.

1. do i just get the girl and wait until she's older and can be neutered and pair her up with another neutered girl / boy from a rescue

2. get two boys and hope they get along.

3. get a boy and girl and keep them separate until they are old enough to be neutered (i have a two storey 6ft hutch so size is not an issue but it would be hard work when they are out in run etc,, as they would have to take turns)

4. get the girl now and start looking for a friend straight away from a rescue!

Advice please as I am due to pick them up at 4!

If it were me I would either get 2 boys or a boy and a girl, but I would only suggest this if you are confident enough to seperate them if any hormones/ fighting kick in.

this is the problem I don't want two lonely rabbits if they fall out (ie a boy / boy pairing) and don't want any babies so boy / girl senario would be tricky. how old to rabbits need to be before being spayed / neutered?

Boys around 12 weeks, girls a bit older, depends on their size really.

If you are concerned about ti not working out, maybe get the girl, wait until she is neutered and then look round for a rescue bunny companion with a rescue that will bond for you :)

I have a brother and sister that were meant to be sisters, we separated, neutered, waited the regulation time and longer.... and have not been able to rebond them.

In hindsight, I would get a bonded neutered pair from rescue or one baby, neuter and get a rescue to bond with a neutered single.

Thanks think I will do that, I have an appointment for the vets on monday to get the injections required so will ask them about age for neutering. They did both of my boy guineas so I am happy that they do the op the vet is really good and always nice even when I take my guineas in when there is nothing wrong with them lol!

Back