• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big should the hutch be?

Ok before any of you suggest sheds/wendy houses with attached runs, there's no point cos I don't have room! :lol: I have a 7 x 5 shed already and we are attaching the 7 x 5 x 2ft run to it and that will be Tink and Mischief's new home. :D

What I need advice on is a hutch? ;) I have a dutch bunny Jasper and I hope to get him a girl friend. However, i have come across two dutch girls who are happily bonded. So I was thinking, if I have a big enough hutch and run then my parents will probably let me get the two lovely girls to come and live with Jasper. :D (I'm 14 by the way that's why I need my parents permission! :lol: ) So what would be a good size hutch and run for 3 lovely dutch bunnies? :love: Thanks xx

How much space do you have? pretty much the biggest you can get to fit into the space!

The thing with trios and bigger groups is the relationship tends to be less stable than a pair, so they need their "personal space" so that they dont squabble. Do you have space for a 4ft x 4ft wendyhouse? You could add shelves to one that would allow them to be on different levels.

Otherwise a DOUBLE 6ft hutch might work, with a ramp. I'm making one for my trio when my parents care for them, but adapted a 6ft x 3ft bike store.

How much space do you have? pretty much the biggest you can get to fit into the space!

The thing with trios and bigger groups is the relationship tends to be less stable than a pair, so they need their "personal space" so that they dont squabble. Do you have space for a 4ft x 4ft wendyhouse? You could add shelves to one that would allow them to be on different levels.

Otherwise a DOUBLE 6ft hutch might work, with a ramp. I'm making one for my trio when my parents care for them, but adapted a 6ft x 3ft bike store.

Well we are going to have the garage knocked down which the shed is stood in front of. Then the shed will be turned to the side so that the run can be attached - it will go in the place where the garage used to be. :) Then it will be next to the run where the hutch can go. ;) We might have room for a 4 x 4 wendy house, will have to see the conversion when it's complete! :) Thank You!

Why dont you put the trio in the 7x5 shed and Tink an Mischief in a 6x2 hutch ?

:lol: I was just thinking that! But Tink and Mischief are huge and have massive legs! They'd hate to just live in a hutch. :( I'd feel mean cos they are almost the same size as my cat!! :lol: Jasper is small and so are the other two dutches. ;)

Will your mum pay for 2 more spays?
5 lots of vaccinations per year (they need 3 vaccinations each per year, so that is 15 vaccs that will needto be paid for)

Seperate hutches if bonding does not work out?

I personally feel that 3 rabbits should be housed in a playhouse like accomodation.

I think you should enjoy your current rabbits for now :)

Will your mum pay for 2 more spays?
5 lots of vaccinations per year (they need 3 vaccinations each per year, so that is 15 vaccs that will needto be paid for)

Seperate hutches if bonding does not work out?

I personally feel that 3 rabbits should be housed in a playhouse like accomodation.

I think you should enjoy your current rabbits for now :)

I do the paying! :lol: But i guess when you put it that way it's very expensive! :roll: I think I will just go to a rescue, then at least they will be already spayed and had their first vaccinations. :thumb: I will also prob only adopt one rabbit, a girl because most hutches are just too small for 3. :? I might even ask my Dad to build me a massive hutch, usually works out cheaper! :D

The thing I'd say is Jaspers quite young so hes got more growing to do. Blue,Bramble and Honey are like tanks atm.

Micheif and Tinker probably equal to 3 dutches anyway.
I'd never put mine in a hutch when I had three, theres simply no room at all for them to even get away, with three you need atleaqst 3 different alone point for chilling otherwise you will end up with a fight no doubt.

Sounds like you plan to have them just living in a hutch. That's not really an acceptable way of keeping them. They need an attached run as well. As already said I would go for a 6ft double hutch of 4ft wendy house with an attached run of no smaller than 8ft x 6ft. The RSPCA minimum is 6ft x 4ft for 2 rabbits, 3 will need much more space so they have enough room to run around and so they don't fall out.

Sounds like you plan to have them just living in a hutch. That's not really an acceptable way of keeping them. They need an attached run as well. As already said I would go for a 6ft double hutch of 4ft wendy house with an attached run of no smaller than 8ft x 6ft. The RSPCA minimum is 6ft x 4ft for 2 rabbits, 3 will need much more space so they have enough room to run around and so they don't fall out.

I did say i needed a run!!! :? And if you read my other post, i have decided against getting 3 as it wouldn't be fair as i wouldn't have room. :)

:lol: I was just thinking that! But Tink and Mischief are huge and have massive legs! They'd hate to just live in a hutch. :( I'd feel mean cos they are almost the same size as my cat!! :lol: Jasper is small and so are the other two dutches. ;)

dont you allready have quite a big run? could you not attatch that to a 6x2 hutch?

I did say i needed a run!!! :? And if you read my other post, i have decided against getting 3 as it wouldn't be fair as i wouldn't have room. :)

Sorry but it doesn't say you were planning to have a run, it just says your pair have a run attached to their shed. You didn't mention a second hence my confusion.

Ok I have measured the room I have outside- about 19ft. :) With my first idea- Mischief and Tink's shed (7 x 5ft) and run (also 7 x 5) would take up 14 x 5ft of the room! Leaving Jasper and a friend with only 5 x 5ft room! :? I thought that's not fair so I have changed my idea. The shed will be turned so that their shed and run will only take up 10ft x 7ft. Leaving Jasper and a friend with 9ft x 7ft! :D So that should be ok shouldn't it? ;)

But what will I do in Jasper's space? I was thinking a 5 x 5ft shed/wendy house and 7 x 4 run or a 4 x 4 shed/wendyhouse and a 7 x 5 run. What do think would be better? Which is more important? Indoor or outdoor space? :)

I'd say outdoor space... but then again, my lot have access to the run 24/7 as it's secure and they spend most of their time outside!

Back