• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is there such a thing as rabbit cow poop syndrome?

Mel D

Warren Scout
I am wondering whether there is such a thing as rabbit cow poop syndrome I think my rabbit could have this syndrome it is where a rabbit does adnormal poos there are bullet shaped or oddly shaped so I have read.
Has anyones bunny got this syndrome if so how what treatment is your vet giving your rabbit?
Thanks

Do you mean splatty smelly poos which are sometimes in the shape of a bunch of grapes, or sometimes just splats? These are excess caecotrophs - the poos that the bunny should be eating.

Do you mean splatty smelly poos which are sometimes in the shape of a bunch of grapes, or sometimes just splats? These are excess caecotrophs - the poos that the bunny should be eating

No these poos are almost the size of grapes they are really big and also they can be strung together like a pearl necklace.

If they are strung together, it is fur in the poos. Is your bun moulting a lot at the moment?

Jane - those links are great. We are currently waiting for some poop results back for Homer. 90% of his poops are OK but we do get "cow pat" type ones.

snowberrys bunny has that syndrome. she sent me some pdfs about it once but i cant find them to send them on to you. if you pm'd her im sure shell tell you all about it :wave::wave::wave:

Yep Snowdrop has what is sometimes called "cow pile syndrome". If you pm me I will send you the info I have on it.

Snowdrop produces very little caecotrophs but does eat the few she produces.

Her normal poos can vary from tiny pebbles to sold mini egg sized. She produces a variety of these every day.

She has bouts of diahorrea or producing poo that is "cow patt" like but we have managed to keep her stable and stop this.

She also has bouts of bloat that can be treated with metacam and infacol.

She has had 3 cases of stasis in the past yr that have required hospitalisation and fluid therapy.

Her diet is pretty much what we know works for her. We were advised no root vegetables but she tolerates carrot well and enjoys it so we stick with that. She has SS pellets, lots of hay spring greens and carrot.

She lost alot of weight when she was first diagnosed and was always damp and stained underneath.

She is now a healthy weight (if not a little chunky) and beautifully white all over! She is showing off binkying on my bed as I type this so I think she knows I am talking about her!

Thank you Jane the links were very helpful, now I am convinced he has got this syndrome do you know if a xray or poo test would show that he has this syndrome? Also what is a barium test?
Thanks

Thank you Jane the links were very helpful, now I am convinced he has got this syndrome do you know if a xray or poo test would show that he has this syndrome? Also what is a barium test?
Thanks

There is no test for it and alot of vets are sceptable about whether it exists.

It is usually diagnosed after tests for everything else come back clear.

Hi, Snowberry Thank you for your advise, can you tell me apart from spring greens,carrots and nuggets( he will only eat dwarf nuggets), can I feed him dandelions,grass and parsley?

I don't know if it helps Mel D but the other name for cow pat syndrome is megacolon. I'm sorry I can't help with the condition. I sincerely wish you & your bun all the best.

Back