• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone tried burning hay?

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
Quite a lot of the dirty hay I remove is dry and I am thinking of burning it in one of those metal bin things you can buy in B&Q for the purpose. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Bit worried about settling fire to the forest behind us! I'm on a new drive to reduce the 10 black bags I put out each week mostly of rabbit poo etc ( I have 12 buns and 6 g-pigs).

We had to burn an entire big round bale of hay last year, was for the horses, got it home, checked through it and it was full of other stuff we didnt like the look of so had to be destroyed. Burnt horribly, smokey and smelly. Probably ok in small quantities and if you're really controlled with it, but not so good if your neighbours arent so nice.

We had to burn an entire big round bale of hay last year, was for the horses, got it home, checked through it and it was full of other stuff we didnt like the look of so had to be destroyed. Burnt horribly, smokey and smelly. Probably ok in small quantities and if you're really controlled with it, but not so good if your neighbours arent so nice.

Yeah, always a good idea to check which way the wind's blowing!:lol:

i got a metal dustbin style one from wilkinsons.....and i overfilled it with paper with bank details etc that was far tooo much for a shredder..it burnt for hours and hours and in the end we had to put it out!!!!!

i realsie even with three housebuns im going to have to burn their stuff....a compost bin would be full in two weeks!! mm wonder if i could burn the cat poo and litter...ewwwww only kidding honest.

mum burnt her straw and yeah its very smokey so be wary...do it when the winds blowing it away from the neighjbours!!:lol:

Back