• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bees and rabbits - please help!

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
Hi there
wasnt sure where to post this as it covers a few sections.

I have a bumble bee nest under the decking where my rabbits are, the hutch and run are sort of built in with the decking and so it will prove very difficult to move these.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Is there any medication i can get in case of potential stings? I know stings can be fatal and they would have to see a vet. I'm dreading something happening, please dont tell me any horror stories anyone!

i will be blocking up all the gaps except for in one corner so that the bees can still get in and out. The thing is, Ive read that 400+ worker bees can travel to and from the nest all day when it hits full summer :cry:

also, one of my buns loves to chase them, oh dear

thanks

laura

Last edited:
Could you remove the rabbits tempoarily whilst a proffessional removes the bees nest?

Well i dont really want to kill the bees as they are threatened enough as it is. not sure what options i have. if the nest is moved its likely the bees will die too, its a really tricky situation, wish they were ants or just something that doesnt sting

I had a very busy bees nest a foot from one of my rabbit aviaries last summer inder the patio and two feet from my water tap and had no problems at all. I didn't see the bees in the actual aviary as there was nothing of use to them in there! Admittedly I don't have a bee hunting bunny:lol: Bees are too busy going about their business to pay any attention to anyone else unless they are seriously threatened so i think you or your bunnies are really unlikely to be stung. It gave me a lot of pleasure watching their comings and goings- like I had a lot of little furry house guests. :D
I did read somewhere that they move out in the winter and it is possible to block everything off then (which I didn't) - I haven't seen any in there this year yet.

I had a very busy bees nest a foot from one of my rabbit aviaries last summer inder the patio and two feet from my water tap and had no problems at all. I didn't see the bees in the actual aviary as there was nothing of use to them in there! Admittedly I don't have a bee hunting bunny:lol: Bees are too busy going about their business to pay any attention to anyone else unless they are seriously threatened so i think you or your bunnies are really unlikely to be stung. It gave me a lot of pleasure watching their comings and goings- like I had a lot of little furry house guests. :D
I did read somewhere that they move out in the winter and it is possible to block everything off then (which I didn't) - I haven't seen any in there this year yet.

ooh thanks, thats made me feel better. i'll do some safe proofing and hope everything works out ok. when you say it was a very busy nest, how many bees were coming and going each day?

I had a nest outside just a few feet away from my rabbits a couple of years ago. Didn't have any problems at all. I used to watch them buzzing back and forward while I was hanging out my washing. They're back this year but we're just going to leave them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a nest outside just a few feet away from my rabbits a couple of years ago. Didn't have any problems at all. I used to watch them buzzing back and forward while I was hanging out my washing. They're back this year but we're just going to leave them.

great :D

Same here, I had Sooty outside last year and they were a few feet from her. Ours are back this year too :D

Back