• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw/toe injury - what to do next?

Hi,

Firstly i'd like to say i'm glad to be back, after a long time offline with no pc!

I've still got Violet, although Bugs sadly passed away recently, after showing no signs of illness :cry::cry::cry:

I found myself another normal sized bunny, and he's been doing very well although because of the size difference of him and Violet i'm a bit scared to put him with her as she had always been very antisocial with Bugs.

The reason for my post is this...

I put floppy in the rabbit run (which i use normally for my guinea pigs) which is inside the rabbit enclosure to keep them apart. I left him out there a couple of hours knowing Violet could not get at him. When i went out to pop him back in his hutch i noticed there was blood on his foot so obviously i checked it to see what was going on.

I found that his claw is still intact although it looks wrenched? and the fur/skin seems to be missing from his toe..:( This happened yesterday and i was supposed to have got a lift to the vets today but he didn't show up :censored: Floppy seems to be ok with it though is walking normally no blood and no sign of infection, he's eating and pooing/peeing normally. I've used an antiseptic wound wash spray on it and i'm emptying his litter tray twice a day as a precaution.

Is there anything else i can do because i can't get another lift til monday to the vets. :(

I don't want to leave it til monday either but if i do get a cab to the vets i won't have any cash for the vet. the vet is 10 miles away, have u had anything like this happen if so what do the vets do about it?

i got a lift tomorrow, i called the vet again and they say if he's eating and happy enough it should be ok til tomorrow provided i keep the area clean.. just hope n pray its not a massive bill, will keep everyone posted on what happens

Ok been back from the vets an hour now, he's on 30 ml baytril twice daily and i've been told to keep an eye on his toe in case the blood supply stops to it, then unfortunatly he will have to have the toe off :shock:.. but the toe had dried out and he let the vet examine it (and me too). She also said that there is a good chance the skin will grow back as its such a small area.. just have to wait and see i guess. His teeth were checked (all normal) Everything else was good as well, so lets hope he doesn't need his toe off at all.

He's a very laid back baby! Think i might well change his name to 'Toby' now..

I'll have to get some pictures of him and post them !

Update... antibiotics aren't working.. poor Toby has to go back in tomorrow to have his toe removed... is going to cost a fortune.. been quoted £150 minimum.. OUCH.:shock: been trying to get hold of the pdsa to help with this almighty bill, but no one wants to pick up the phone.. he's going in anyways cos it seems that his toe has got an infection in the bone and he has gone very shy for me to look at it now.. i have been scratched to bits.. i just hope he's going to be ok..

Back