• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA First Alert Re 'Trancing' Rabbits

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Thanks to all of our members who phoned in or e-mailed following yesterday breaking news “ Meet Britain’s first rabbit hypnotist -Meet the rabbit whisperer. He can put your bunny in a trance, even if its hopping mad”

A press release was issued to all of the national newspapers that carried the story, to convey our concerns. The reality is that the “hypnotic state” alleged by Cliff Penrose, is actually a syndrome known by the scientific community as tonic immobility ( referred to by Charles Darwin as the death feint) The state is known is known to be a fear motivated terminal defence mechanism employed when other defence strategies have failed and is displayed in most prey animals, rabbits of course included.

The RWA/F expressed concerns about the story and the impact it could have on domestic rabbits if owners try and follow the example .In addition the RSPCA and the PDSA issued their own press releases.

I'm 100% behind you Jane.
I recently attended a lecture by Dr. Ann MacBride a top bunny behaviourist.
She said exactly the same thing almost verbatim about bunny trancing.

tbh I'd not seen the original threads, or the newspapers of TV prog originally - I saw a clip on Russell Howard's Good News last night & was :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Ive had several people come up to me at, work independent from each other, all excited to show me this :? How many people up and down the country are now flipping their bunnies over like a game :cry:

My next door neighbour came wagging round ours with this article from the sun thinking it was great :cry::roll: She was shocked when i told her i thought it was appauling

There was a stupid freakin' vet in one of the papers I read dismissing claims that the rabbit is at all stressed when tipped on his or her back. :evil: Evidently not a rabbit savvy one...! But she sounded sooooo up herself and claimed that a rabbit would not expose his or her tummy if they felt threatened or stressed, as it is their most vulnerable area. I was soooo cross!

There was a stupid freakin' vet in one of the papers I read dismissing claims that the rabbit is at all stressed when tipped on his or her back. :evil: Evidently not a rabbit savvy one...! But she sounded sooooo up herself and claimed that a rabbit would not expose his or her tummy if they felt threatened or stressed, as it is their most vulnerable area. I was soooo cross!

What was the vet's name, it may be an interesting thing to find out she's supposed to be good with buns........or not.

RWA first alert re "trancing" rabbits

My ex vet tried to get me to trance my rabbit (this was a few years ago)so she could clip his teeffies:cry:I tried as she was insistant but i couldn't do it:cry:so she sent me out of the room to do it herself:censored:this was supposed to be a very rabbit savvy vet but for some reason i never got on with her:cry:seems my instincts were right after all:)

Back