• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Bunny Shed Beckons!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Well hubby agreed to let me build a seventh pen inside the shed, HURRAH! I'm just not sure what to do. The shed is 10ft wide by about 20ft long. I currenlt has 6 pens in it and there all different sizes, the smallest being 5ft x 4.5ft the biggest being 5ftx 6ft.
In the entrance to the shd i currently store all the food and bedding etc, but i can move this into the laundrey shed instead, some of which i will have to in order to fit in the extra pen.
I think i should re-do the entire shed to fit the new pen in rather than squish it in. I could build all the pens the same size 5ftx5ft which wouldn't take too much re-jigging, or too much time and would leave me a 5x5 space at the entrance for the hay.

This is the 6 pens currently
2408094.jpg

Surely pens of 5ft by 5ft are too small if they dont have attached runs?

I thought RPSCA guidelines were 6ft by 2ft hutch and 6ft by 4ft run which gives 36 sq ft of space. 5 by 5 only gives them 25 sq ft so is quite a bit smaller than advised.

All the pens have ramps and shelves and extra levels. I've 14 buns total, some of which can't have hutches and runs as they won't use there runs (i used to have hutches with runs) and i find it very very difficult to get in and out of hutches and runs. I can't bond them all together, there isn't a chance of that unfortunatly, i'd love to but with most of my pairs it's not possible.

All the pens have ramps and shelves and extra levels. I've 14 buns total, some of which can't have hutches and runs as they won't use there runs (i used to have hutches with runs) and i find it very very difficult to get in and out of hutches and runs. I can't bond them all together, there isn't a chance of that unfortunatly, i'd love to but with most of my pairs it's not possible.

why cant they use runs? im not having a go jsut dont understand wh ya rabbit couldnt use a run? x

why cant they use runs? im not having a go jsut dont understand wh ya rabbit couldnt use a run? x

I know the OP has a soft spot for 'aggressive buns' and I would imagine pens are easier to navigate than a hutch and run but that is just a guess.

I know the OP has a soft spot for 'aggressive buns' and I would imagine pens are easier to navigate than a hutch and run but that is just a guess.

That would be correct, i also have two large dogs, one of which thinks rabbits are food and i need to ensure the rabbits are secure at all times, i have a large garden and no back door. The rabbits are kept in the shed and are cool in summer and warm in winter.

Also if this is going to become a lynching on the way i keep my rabbits i will ask for the thread to be deleted

It's not a question of they can't they physically wont go down the ramps to the runs and some of them physically can't due to ailments.

It's not a question of they can't they physically wont go down the ramps to the runs and some of them physically can't due to ailments.

fair enough, could it be a run could be set up the same level with a door opening out so that they could still ge thte nessacery excersise without a ramp? or prehaps rather than adding an additional pen you could re create teh space giving each bunny more room?

That would be correct, i also have two large dogs, one of which thinks rabbits are food and i need to ensure the rabbits are secure at all times, i have a large garden and no back door. The rabbits are kept in the shed and are cool in summer and warm in winter.

Also if this is going to become a lynching on the way i keep my rabbits i will ask for the thread to be deleted

i was not lynching, simple enquiring as to why the rabbits couldnt have runs attatched which you have answered we all want the best for our bunnies and i know everyoen does everything they can to ensure the best life for them :) i am sure you give them al lthe space you can was only thinking of how you coudl allwo tehm more space if possible. :) :wave: no bad vibes! :)

But you said all the pens have ramps and second levels?

I am not getting at you, I just think 5ft by 5ft is too small for a pair of bunnies to spend all their time.

But you said all the pens have ramps and second levels?

I am not getting at you, I just think 5ft by 5ft is too small for a pair of bunnies to spend all their time.

They do as all the rabbits have partners and those who can or wish to use the ramps and levels can, those who don't don't

They do as all the rabbits have partners and those who can or wish to use the ramps and levels can, those who don't don't

Do they get any free range time on the garden or for some of the buns is 5ft square all they ever get access to?

Do they get any free range time on the garden or for some of the buns is 5ft square all they ever get access to?

The rabbits who can not get up the levels are in te larger pens which are 6ft x 5ft.

I have not said i WILL build all the pens 5x5 i am looking for solutions to my current problem.

The shed is 10ft wide by about 20ft long. I currenlt has 6 pens in it and there all different sizes, the smallest being 5ft x 4.5ft the biggest being 5ftx 6ft.
In the entrance to the shd i currently store all the food and bedding etc, but i can move this into the laundrey shed instead, some of which i will have to in order to fit in the extra pen.
I think i should re-do the entire shed to fit the new pen in rather than squish it in. I could build all the pens the same size 5ftx5ft which wouldn't take too much re-jigging, or too much time and would leave me a 5x5 space at the entrance for the hay.

What size pen could you do for the newbie without rejigging all the others? Just wondering as I know you put a lot of effort into getting all the pens in to start with & would seem a shame to rearrange if you don't really need to.

(Also, I hear a rumour you might be having a certain munchy ex-foster bun of ours?! If so, she's adorable when she's not biting you!:roll::love:)

What size pen could you do for the newbie without rejigging all the others? Just wondering as I know you put a lot of effort into getting all the pens in to start with & would seem a shame to rearrange if you don't really need to.

(Also, I hear a rumour you might be having a certain munchy ex-foster bun of ours?! If so, she's adorable when she's not biting you!:roll::love:)

Thanks Kate, Yeah i think Foxglove will be coming here either to be a single bun or Max's new girlfriend, it depends on wether i can get them to bond. I need to build the other pen for Max as until Foxglove arrives he needs to see other buns (since Bootz died he's very lonely). I could fit in a 4x6 pen without moving anything about, which would leave me enough space to store the hay bales in the shed. I did think of that initially.

Back