• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

some quick post nuter advise please!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
a couple of questions :)
how often do i change the towels? once or twice a day?
can i just feed him anything he'll eat? rather than fussing that he has to eat pellets,hay,veg and grass?
do i ask for some pain killers??
do i ask for some recovery food?
how long on cage rest?
and then how long till he can go back on shavings?

and most importantly, will he be okay while im out tomorow at a party from two till atlatest 7?!

okay maybe thats a few more than a couple :oops:

With the towels, it depends on how dirty they get. I would change at least once a day but if he wees over them, more frequently.

To start with, offer him his favourite foods but have some hay available and a small bowl (rather than a bottle) of water nearby. After about 24 hours, he'll feel better and will probably go back to eating almost normally.

Regarding painkillers, most vets will give them a dose before they let them go home but you can always ask if you are worried.

Recovery food is always handy to have anyway, although most vets won't let a rabbit leave unless they are eating post-op anyway.

Cage rest is usually at least 48 hours inside (although you can alwasy let him have a supervised hop around a safe area indoors)and I wouldn't put him on shavings for a week because they can be a bit scratchy.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

how often do i change the towels? once or twice a day?

I am only having to do mine once a day but my boys are still using their litter trays.

can i just feed him anything he'll eat? rather than fussing that he has to eat pellets,hay,veg and grass?

Yes. Anything is better than nothing. Mine were happy to eat veg but wouldn't touch hay or pellets for the first 24hrs.

do i ask for some pain killers??
Most vets will give a 24hr injection with a post op check the following day. None of my boys have ever needed additional pain relief other than the injection. For the girls I just got some extra metacam to give at home.

do i ask for some recovery food?
I've never needed any, but ask your vet if you're worried.

how long on cage rest?

If they are ok I will let mine have supervised exercise more or less the following day, but you have to watch that they don't go to mad and certainly avoid jumping up on things. Sometime if they are not pooing gentle exercise can help things along.

and then how long till he can go back on shavings?

Personally I've always waited a week minimum. Longer if they are slow healers.

he wont have his litter tray because a) he pulls it and i dont want him to damage himself and b) i didnt want him jumping into it and hurting himself.

although he does have a very shallow one, should i use that?
thankyou very much :) your all very helpfull :)

ive put a water proof dog cushion/bed in and a towel under/over the top where he normally emptys himself and then a puppy pad under the top towel. will this be okay for today?

also his hays in a rack, theres a bowl for pellets and water and his water botte :)

I set up a lovely post neuter puppy pen for Louie when he was done, puppy pads on the floor, a snugglesafe etc.

He came home and immediately started trying to lift the pen up with his teeth and hurling himself at the bars. I gave in and he just freeranged as usual.

Glad he has come through it ok :D

Back