• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tree suggestions please? (bunny safe of course!)

pooks

Warren Scout
Hi,

I want a tree for my small garden (aprox 16x30ft) but obviously i need it (leaves and all that) to be safe for my bunnies. I would really like a blossom tree and would love a cherry tree - but are they bunny safe? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks!

I guess the obvious choice would be apple :D I have one waiting to be planted at the moment in memory of my pony who died :(

i *think* the sap of stoned fruit trees are toxic to rabbits so no cherry :( not sure about blossom. id go for apple if it was me :D

If you buy a young tree you'd need to put guards round it for a year or two to give it chance to get established regardless.

We have apple, crab apple, willow and hazel though we do have one cherry tree the buns' won't have access to it.

If you get an apple tree bear in mind that unless you have two that pollinate each other you may not get any apples! A good choice if you have a small garden is to go for a 'family tree' which has two or three varieties on the same tree and will pollinate each other. :p

It's generally better to plant trees in winter so if you plant now be sure to water frequently xx :D xx

Apple trees have beautiful blossom, by the way and you get the apples to enjoy come autumn too... :p

Whather you choose (apple would be my choice) you will need to protect the trunk from the rabbits otherwise they will strip the bark of and kill it. I wrap sturdy mesh around the base of trunks to about 3ft to keep those bunny teefs away :)

Back