• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick bunny

dianemk73

Young Bun
I have just bought an 8 week old mini lop from a reputable breeder. I have had her two days but she appears unwell. Really smelly runny poo and not eating. I have isolated her and forced her to drink. Any suggestions please?

Hi is she eating anything at all??? And she does need hay! I would take her to the vet asap tbh!... how long has she been this way?
And what food has she been fed on?

She,s not eating at all. The breeder told me to remove the hay. I have forced water down to prevent dehydration. Found her like this this morning but have been at work on a 12 hour shift so too late to seek veterinary advice

Hi is she eating anything at all??? And she does need hay! I would take her to the vet asap tbh!... how long has she been this way?
And what food has she been fed on?

I second this! It is very important for rabbits to keep eating. Please take her to the vets tonight.

hay is the most important part of bunny diet... they need it to help their tummy's function normally. It is very dangerous when a bunny stops eating their gut can stop moving and they will go into something call "stasis" Which can cause death!

Please please please take her to a vet, they may have to get some food into her by syringe... and lets us know how it goes:)

Wish you the best of luck

Just a thought try dandilion leaves or/and fresh herbs flat leaf parsley has got my bunny to eat they love the smell:love:

Its very important that you try and get "something" in to her poorly tum:cry:

If the 8 week old baby is anorexic with diarrhoea I doubt she'll be alive in the morning unless she receives urgent Veterinary attention tonight.

I would suspect Coccidiosis so you are most definately right to isolate her from your other Rabbits.

Just a thought try dandilion leaves or/and fresh herbs flat leaf parsley has got my bunny to eat they love the smell:love:

Its very important that you try and get "something" in to her poorly tum:cry:

would greens be advisable in a bunny so young? esp if they've not had greens before?[may cause even more runny poos] Bunny definitely needs to see a vet asap

If the 8 week old baby is anorexic with diarrhoea I doubt she'll be alive in the morning unless she receives urgent Veterinary attention tonight.

I would suspect Coccidiosis so you are most definately right to isolate her from your other Rabbits.
Glad you came along Jane diamond:love:

I really hope they can get a vet

Poor bunny is at vets being drip fed. She has a really bad case of worms apparently but hopefully can come home tomorrow with her medicine. Thank you everyone that sent suggestions

She doesnt have a name yet as I only bought her on Tuesday. I am open to suggestions! She is a choc self mini lop. Didnt want to "christen" her till I knew she was going to survive.

bless her! I must admit I don't know much about worms as I have *touch wood* have had no buns with the condition

She sounds lovley though.:love:

This forum is brill for information on keeping healthy and happy buns.. so welcome:wave:

doc had a bad case of worms and has had them twice more since, ( though thankfully he wasnt as young and didnt suffer dehydration ) did you see them on her poo or her bottom

some are like tiny white pin heads that barely move,

doc worms were treated with panacur though your bun be too young for treat as its done by weight normally, wee fella is in best place at vets :D

As my doc has had it more than once i regularly worm him now,

Im very surprised breeder said less hay a baby buns main diet should be just hay, and very small amount of pellets only i certainly wouldnt give veggies to a poorly young bun so young

the first rabbit i got had a runny bum and drank loads and i didnt know what i know now and waited till the morning but he died during the night :cry:
since being a member on here i just don't take chances!
how is the little mite now?

She is staying at the vets over night hopefully I can bring her home in the morning. There were no signs of any worms that I could see. Yes I am very pleased to have joined the forum as I have had lots of great advice. Incidently I have 6 other buns and never had a worm problem

when a rabbit stops eating anything even greens theyve not had before is better than nothing, when bailey was in stasis the vet gave her every kind of veg and herb there was to get her eating x

Back